Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it me ?

Davey-T

Just got S@N delivered with 2017 calendar and looking at the Moon pic' I can't for the life of me make it appear properly, it's like one of those pictures that flip back and forth in perspective but I can't get the craters to look like craters, no matter how much I defocus and squint they look like mountains :icon_scratch:

Dave

I often see craters as Domes,  It's an optical anomaly,

your brain will interpret a crater as a Dome, or vice versa.
You are not alone in that respect. Of course you can't rule out
The Magazine  having a role in this, perhaps if it has a glossy look, it may 
have a bearing on it :lol:.

My favourite version is the Dragon that really does follow you round the room , you can download a printable pdf and make your own too , I usually knock a few up around this time of year for friends kids , great fun and easy to cut and tape together ... :icon_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

My favourite version is the Dragon that really does follow you round the room , you can download a printable pdf and make your own too , I usually knock a few up around this time of year for friends kids , great fun and easy to cut and tape together ... :icon_biggrin:

Thats absolutely brilliant, thanks.

Alan

Yes, your mind interprets images in the way it expects, that's why these visual tricks work.  You are probably more likely to be familiar with mountains and hills than craters - there aren't many craters in the UK :D

The same effect can confuse you when figuring a Newtonian mirror, you think you have slight depression
under the knife edge, and suddenly it appears to change to an oblate spheroid.
Only by knowing which side the knife edge is cutting into the reflected light from the Foucault tester, 
can you determine what you are actually seeing.
It can puggle one's mind  a bit :lol:

Archived