Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

That Old Devil Dampness

If your electronics are kept outside in the UK under a scope coat, ROR or Fibreglass Observatory, and there are condensation problems, there is a possibility that sooner or later condensation will build up in the handset causing intermittent and eratic behaviour and also in the electronics housed in the mount, especially  at this time of the year. The window in my handset steamed up and I rectified this gently with a hair dryer. There is also a product sold in the marine trade called Aquastop which can be sprayed on to circuit boards and is supposed to cure this on one application although I have not used it. The hair dryer got things working properly again for me and any thought on this subject would be welcome.....Dave

Servisol, plastic based seal 60, is a good Silicon based protective insulation for circuit boards, available from most electronic outlets. Best if copious amounts of Silica gel can placed in the enclosed area. Further, most condensation is caused by a lack of ventilation, if you can leave a small fan unit running, at minimal cost to your electric bill, should be worth a try :) 

There are a few of these PCB sealers but unfortunately they are of no use on the various connector plugs and sockets. The pins in these connectors are not dsigned to operate under these conditions and will accrue surface corrosion causing intermittant contact. For that reason I use (and recommend) treatment with ACF50 which stops corrosion and keeps moisture out. A quick spray (only a little is required) results in a very tenacious film which survives repeated plugging/unplugging and so keeps the pins clean and corrosion-free. It's proven to be very effective for me over the years.

ChrisH

Thanks for the intelligent tips, I have a 2.2 metre  Obsey and although it has 365 degree ventilation at the base of the dome, I think running a fan would work and worth a try. Also the chemical sprays seem well recommended. I only get condensation when weather conditions are dripping wet . The interior of the dome never drips moisture being treated but have heard of cases where it does. Dave 

Archived