12 Inch Dobsonian

Hi Corkey I thought it was an 8" but now a 12", aperture is king if you can handle it?. Keep an eye on the sale section on stargazers lounge buddy. All sorts come up on this site with many good members selling. And the great moderators keeping an eye on things. Don't rush in and buy they do come up on SGL or maybe Astro buy and sell.

I hope this helps☺

20 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Hi Corkey I thought it was an 8" but now a 12", aperture is king if you can handle it?. Keep an eye on the sale section on stargazers lounge buddy. All sorts come up on this site with many good members selling. And the great moderators keeping an eye on things. Don't rush in and buy they do come up on SGL or maybe Astro buy and sell.

I hope this helps☺

Cheers

You probably will get a bargain at some point if you keep your eyes open but it's probably worthwhile remembering that if you are going to go for big aperture then it is only worth it if you get good quality to Go with it, make sure you only buy it if you are happy with it, not because it is cheap.

Yes, be careful, there are some good Reflectors out there, a 12" Dob is considered a  Manageable size, but not for everyone,
and that realisation prompts some owners to sell theirs.

As well as the Goodies, there are some not so good, so be careful where and with whom you spend your hard earned  money.
Try to see the seller, and If possible the instrument before you jump.  Not always possible I know, but lot's of questions first
with  some satisfying answers at least.

The Skywatcher, Meade and Revelation dobsonans are pretty good quality wise. The Revelation is, to my knoweldge, the lowest cost 12" dob currently on the market in the UK and it uses the same mirrors and mirror cells as the Meade Lightbridges and the Telescope Services ones - made by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO) in Taiwan.

You might get offered an older dob but you can always post here for advice on the pros and cons of the potential purchase :icon_biggrin:

Shanes suggestion above holds the potential for the lowest cost option of all (and possibly the best dob !) if you can handle a some straightforward DIY.

On 11/13/2016 at 18:55, Corkeyno2 said:

.......... a 12 inch dob for under 300 pounds............

........I too have been on the look out, just this weekend past,, but no joy!  and having spent just as much on another gadget, I think I may have to wait a little while longer :hmh:.

Hi Corkey,

A couple of years back I bought a 12" Meade Lightbridge with a few extras for £300 and IMHO it was  a good  telescope, and just a few weeks ago I was offered a 12" Revelation for £325. The person concerned spoke quite highly of the quality of the mirror, and he has my respect, so to answer your question, it is very possible to pick up a 12" Dob of decent quality for circa £300.

Good luck :happy11:

Archived