Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7331 + a very quick NGC 1499

PatrickGilliland

Weather has not been compliant so making do with what i have....

A NGC 7331 from DSW 14.5" RCOS 14 hours data.

Ngc 7331 main crop v2.png

And following on from Barry's 'grab n go' here is a very quick NGC 1499 with just 7 subs @ 900 seconds (SHO - 2:2:3).  Swapping cameras so thought i would process anyway despite the lack of data.

Ngc 1499 quick.png

Cheers

Paddy

4 hours ago, moise212 said:

Whoa..

Thanks

4 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Superb 7331 Patrick. Gorgeous!

Thanks Tom - been playing with a new technique (for me) of taking lum data from RGB channels.  Instead of making a super lum though, I take darker stretches at ever increasing levels of brightness. Then i add darker detail back into the master lum.  Then do same increasing approach on RGB > LRGB master.  Seems to find a little more detail.  This was a very soft image until i did that.  Paddy

8 hours ago, mike005 said:

Wonderful images Paddy - I particularly like the colours in the galaxy and stars in first image.

The first image is the serious one - the other more a 'because i could" thanks for feedback.

7 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Love the 7331 - great colour and detail, and the smaller galaxies show very well too.

ChrisH

Thanks Chris - was please with the small galaxies and the little fuzzies throughout the image.  Thanks for comments

I just went into 'instant chortle' mode when I saw that 7331. What a glory it is at this FL! Despite its small size it has an overwhelmingly bright core which you've controlled beautifully and the two stellar populations are superbly distinguished through colour. That little barred spiral's a bit good, too.

:icon_salut:

Olly

11 hours ago, Tim said:

I really like those Paddy, the 7331 pic is spectacular

Thanks Tim.

11 hours ago, laudropb said:

Very nice images Paddy. 7331 is a cracker.

Thanks you

10 hours ago, Davie27 said:

Jaw dropping! Well done.

how can anyone not be inspired by pictures like that!

Thanks Davie - if I could inspire one person then it would be a good day :) 

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

very nice Paddy :) An interesting Luminance idea too....... shows that this is all about experimentation and listening to what the data is telling you 

Listening hmmm, not my strong point, sorry what was you saying - Oh yes, I am quite new to the long FL side of things, lots of transferable skills but struggled with the main DSO's looking really soft and fuzzy and lacking the detail i could see in there at high zoom.  So had a play and seems to have worked.  Now it is a case of whether it is repeatable though!  Thanks for comments.

2 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Great images Paddy, I particularly like your processing on NGC7331.

Alan

Thanks Alan - glad you prefer that one as it's the one I spent time on the other was just a clear out of data 'because i had it', appreciate comments.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I just went into 'instant chortle' mode when I saw that 7331. What a glory it is at this FL! Despite its small size it has an overwhelmingly bright core which you've controlled beautifully and the two stellar populations are superbly distinguished through colour. That little barred spiral's a bit good, too.

:icon_salut:

Olly

Thanks Olly - when I looked at the galaxy at the end i thought for I moment i had cracked this lark.  Of course being your own critic is the road to improvement and not totally happy with the background, little too soft i think relationally.  The main object as you say all went very well and detail was better than I had hoped for, the new lum approach seems to realise the details hidden in the data.  Next time i might just get it all right.  If only!

Thanks for comments glad you enjoyed, Paddy  

On 15/11/2016 at 13:07, symesie04 said:

That NGC7331 is beautiful, great colours and super detail. For anyone who hasnt its worth have a look at the full res and hunt the little fellas in the background.

Thanks for feedback.

On 15/11/2016 at 13:45, orion58 said:

Nicely done Paddy.

Thanks Bruce

On 15/11/2016 at 17:35, Barry-Wilson said:

Cracking galaxy image Paddy and super framing with the nearby fuzzies.

It can be amazing - sometimes if you're lucky - what you can achieve with grab'n'go data.  You would never guess that your quick California had such few subs.

Thanks Barry - don't need to many a F3 - few more than that would have been nice though :) 

On 15/11/2016 at 17:38, gingergeek said:

I love the colours in the galaxy Paddy, very nice work indeed.

Thank you - appreciate the comments.

On 17/11/2016 at 20:40, RobertI said:

My goodness that's an amazing image of NGC7331, and so much detail. I've just had fun zooming in and exploring.

Thanks Rob - yes be interesting to see what the print to metal looks like, first try was rubbish, hopefully new supplier will be better!  Any one know a good printer be glad to hear from you.  Feedback appreciated.

Archived