SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader vs Astronomik narrowband filters?

I see a significant price difference between the Baader and the Astronomik filters, has anyone compared recent H-alpha/beta, O-III, S-II filters from the two brands?

Astronomik claims higher transmission, but like to see if that's true. Question is also if a 10-15% difference in transmission justifies an almost 2x higher price tag? (Looking it the other way around: the price of a 12nm

Astronomik H-a almost buys me a 3.5nm Baader piece, which would allow me to make use of full-moon nights, which, according to Murphy, are usually the only clear nights for multiple months around here).

So far from the charts Astronomik seems to be better, however this post says otherwise: behind higher transmission values of the Astronomik filters there is a higher tolerance against undesired parts of the spectrum.

Apart Baader & Astronomik: are there <5nm O-III and H-beta filters around? Astronomik offers only a 12nm piece for H-Beta and the Baader is 8.5nm FWHM with around 75% transmission, there is some potential here...

2 hours ago, GTom said:

Forgot to say, these are for photography = I don't see much issue increaseing the exposure time with 20%.

My fault too - I didn't notice that you had posted this in the imaging section :rolleyes2:

I don't come in here much for fear that I will get trapped, catch the imaging bug and spend lots more money ! :shocked:

24 minutes ago, John said:

My fault too - I didn't notice that you had posted this in the imaging section :rolleyes2:

I don't come in here much for fear that I will get trapped, catch the imaging bug and spend lots more money ! :shocked:

Yeah, that's the point here... The price of a smaller OTA lies between the two filter sets in question :D

May I ask you for links showing this price disparity of around 2X between the Baader and Astronomik filters you're referencing? You've piqued my curiosity as I just purchased a new OIII-Filter from Astronomik to do a side-by-side comparison with my older Baader OIII.

Price wise, they appear to be the same over here from my perch.

Thanks!

Dave

Archived