SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Testing the waters ?

L8-Nite

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a cruel hobby Scott. Been here so many times perfect through the week clouds pile in when you don't want them. Like mike said it's a long way for some of us to travel for a short period before the clouds and fog pile in. Keep us posted though perhaps the met have it wrong. Well get another chance shortly no doubt

Thanks Scott,  Currently conditions look good for several hours, except for wind, which is usually stronger than predictions for the site. As Steve mentioned, it's a long drive for most of us, a 60+ mile round trip in my case, and more often than not the weather forecasters have failed us, so not worth the gamble or expence for a short night out.

I think you guys made the right choice, that wind was bitterly cold and quite strong up there. we had clear sky's aswell but I don't  think viewing would have been great like you mentioned. The wind was rocking my car in Brynmawr asda, which has springs and shock absorbers made of rocks lol.

Thanks for the local feedback Scott. It was very cold in my neck of the woods last night too. Unfortunately it doesn't look favourable for tonight either :sad:, however mid week, especially Tuesday looks promising; but then that makes it difficult to get out during the work week, unless one is retired. Winter seems to be upon us, so looks like it's time to get out the Artic weather gear or put on ten layers of clothing as Pat suggested. Hopefully we will have an opportunity for a weekend Observing Meet before the holidays get into full swing.

Scot thanks for the feedback - I've been up there several times in the wind and its a definite no go - not a lot of fun at all to be honest

This week - at least the early part of the week, is looking good though - I've good intentions of setting up in the garden tonight if the wind plays ball

What a stunning night last night was - could clearly see the milky way overhead from my garden and the double cluster naked eye - more of the same tonight although I'll admit to Bino viewing only - full of good intentions but the early mornings in work suck my enthusiasm dry as soon as the first cup of tea arrives in the evening - should be good again tonight and tomorrow as well - good start to winter 2016/17

After last year Mike you'd think we would take any opportunity we get - the combination of clear skies, no wind and no moon are a pretty rare commodity in South Wales :0)   Plenty of winter left though hopefully the best is just around the corner

• 2 weeks later...

New to the group, member of Cardiff Astro Soc, doing online course with UCLAN,  looking forward to meeting up with you. I'll keep an eye on the thread to check dates, in the meantime I'll make sure I can find the place! BTW if it's windy is there another nearby location to retreat to where it's not so windy?

Another place recommended me is the Crai reservoir. Anyone tried it ?

Hi notimejeff, haven't been to Crai reservoir but driven past the signs for Crai on the way to cardigan quite a few times perhaps some google map time is required were always looking for the next best observing site. The blaenavon site is not too difficult to find I'm sure mike will post the coords next time he drops by and you'd be most welcome to join in if we ever get going this winter lol

On 17/12/2016 at 12:05, notimejeff said:

New to the group, member of Cardiff Astro Soc, doing online course with UCLAN,  looking forward to meeting up with you. I'll keep an eye on the thread to check dates, in the meantime I'll make sure I can find the place! BTW if it's windy is there another nearby location to retreat to where it's not so windy?

Another place recommended me is the Crai reservoir. Anyone tried it ?

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to SGL, and the South Wales Group !  The Blaenavon site is at the top of a large flat expanse. My experience has been that if it's windy, unfortunately we are out of luck. What ever the local predicted wind speed forecast is for Blaenavon, you can be confident that it will be double at the Observing site. 

If you mean " Cray Resevoir " off of the A4067 road, yes I've been there and there is a very good spot with easy access just off of the East side of the road. The Google Earth coordinates are.....  51* 52' 39.30" N  by  3* 37' 06.00"  W

The Observing spot is on an old disused bridge, which has trees and shrubbery blocking light from the road. Night traffic is minimal. Have a look by zooming down on Google Earth, also, here are some photos I took of the location a couple of years ago.

PICT0010 (Small).JPG

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

PICT0003 (Small).JPG

PICT0004 (Small).JPG

PICT0005 (Small).JPG

PICT0006 (Small).JPG

PICT0007 (Small).JPG

PICT0008 (Small).JPG

PICT0009 (Small).JPG

33 minutes ago, stevetynant said:

Hi notimejeff, haven't been to Crai reservoir but driven past the signs for Crai on the way to cardigan quite a few times perhaps some google map time is required were always looking for the next best observing site. The blaenavon site is not too difficult to find I'm sure mike will post the coords next time he drops by and you'd be most welcome to join in if we ever get going this winter lol

Hi Steve,  Good timing here !  I'm going to have to look up Crai Resevoir, :icon_scratch: haven't  heard of that one before, but then again, I'm just a tourist. :grin:

Edit: Coordinates for the Blaenavon site ( Fox Hunter Car Park ) are.....

On Google Earth  51* 47' 25.74" N  by  3* 4' 10.74" W

On Google Maps  51.790573  , -3.069705

Archived