SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Testing the waters ?

L8-Nite

Been quiet on the South Wales forum for awhile now. Personally, I'm looking forward to a trip to our dark site in Blaenavon for a night of observing, so I thought I'd post a query to see if anyone else is interested in meeting up for an Observing session ? 

I'm proposing the weekend of November 25th / 26th, weather permitting of course.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:54, bats said:

Could possibly do the 25th.....may need some help with the new Meade lx90 8" if anyone knows there way round one of these scopes?

I was figuring either Friday the 25th, or the 26th as an alternate if the weather doesn't cooperate.

3 hours ago, stevetynant said:

Hi Mike I'm up for the Friday but can't make it on Saturday . you'll have to remind me which end of the scope to look :icon_albino:through  it's been so long . 

Ok Steve, lets hope the weather is favourable for Friday. Will be nice to catch up with you and Paul again.

Friday is looking the pick of the week at the moment up in Blaenavon - the worrying thing is the wind at the moment 12-15 mph which would make my little Dob pretty much unuseable - fingers crossed it will die down as the weather reports progress through the week.

Hiya Scott - yes of course come on up - its very informal and friendly - just watch this thread on Friday Mike (L8-Nite) will make the call depending on the weather conditions (which typically have deterioated for Friday)

Long winter in front of us though so plenty more chances if we strike out this weekend - keep an eye on this form group for updates

5 hours ago, stevetynant said:

I'll wait until the forecast on Friday Mike and might ask my brother in law with his boys up- he's just getting started - what time are you thinking of setting up if we have the go ahead?

I was thinking of getting there before dark, about 17:30 or there about.

2 hours ago, scotty87 said:

Room for a newb up there with you guys ? :) . maybe even get one of you lovely lot to show me how to use this thing I've bought... beer tokens included ofcourse! 

Scott.

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the South Wales group !  :smiley: 

I don't know about us being a "lovely lot" as it's usually dark when we meet up, and recognise each other by voice, and that may be a good thing, lol.  As Steve said, its a friendly group, and everyone I've met has been happy to help if they can. 

Except for our recent Star Party get together at Pencelli Castle, activity here has been slow due to the weather over the past few months. We try to schedule an Observing Session on a Friday closest to the New Moon phase to take advantage of the dark sky conditions at this time, however, the weather isn't always cooperative, so Saturday is an alternate to hopefully give us a second chance.

Our group Observing site is located next to the radio masts North East of Blaenavon, at the "Fox Hunter" car park. The coordinates are.......

On Google Earth:  51*  47'  25.74" N  by  3* 4' 10.74" W

On Google Maps: 51.790573  ,  -3.069705

Check this thread for updates, and on the day in the afternoon, to see if this short notice observing meet will be a GO or a NO GO ;  based on current weather forecasts. 

Think clear skies.

Forecasts looking cloudy from 6'ish with fog later on on the BBC website- hmmm in the balance unless someones got a better weather app - next week however is looking very promising at the moment - I know its not so easy mid week but if it doesn't look good tonight theres still another chance for a short notice call next week.

Over to you Mike :0)

Not sure its worth while tonight, looking better for tomorrow at the moment. The consensus of the weather reports are for 80 to 100% cloud cover, with about a 13mph wind factor.

Scott, being that you are close to the site, please give us an actual update for this evening. But for those of us who have to travel far, I think its wise to call it a "NO GO" for tonight.

My experience is that the forecasters are not very good at predicting clear skies, but spot on at predicting poor conditions; Fingers crossed for tomorrow night.

Archived