Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

cotterless45

DIY Spring Peak star party.

30 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Great idea stu ! Also what if the weather is particularly poor ? Does everyone still go or do we cancel ? 

Definitely still go. Getting a clear night is a bonus, as Paul says it's great just to meet people.

• Like 1

I plan to go and walk to Dove Dale on the Saturday if anyone would like to join me.

Perhaps this one.

WALK%20MAP%205%20for%20cafe.jpg

58 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Great idea stu ! Also what if the weather is particularly poor ? Does everyone still go or do we cancel ? 

I'll still be going no matter what the weather,
if i don't the boss will have me doing 3 days of DIY :eek:

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

I plan to go and walk to Dove Dale on the Saturday if anyone would like to join me.

Perhaps this one.

How far Mark? If the back is holding up and the sun isn't shining I may join you :) 

1 hour ago, Ken82 said:

I am still going I have payed?

Good to get away from work and the wife but don't tell her?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdstuart said:

Perhaps this one.

I will probably make one

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

You typed faster, and gave a far more technical reply :) 

Yes.... and I never got a " great idea Pig" :happy8:

Edited by Pig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

How far Mark? 

My old map reading and estimation skills tell me that is about 13-15km, so about 10 miles.

My old knees can't do that any more so I'll have the kettle on when you all get back :grin:

• Like 1

I have trouble walking to the cafe at Lucksall and even more trouble walking back after a few shandys so count me out :grin:

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DRT said:

My old map reading and estimation skills tell me that is about 13-15km, so about 10 miles.

My old knees can't do that any more so I'll have the kettle on when you all get back :grin:

Might need something a little stronger 

• Like 1

Guys

It's between 4 and 5 miles.

We leave at 9.30 after a full English breakfast and we will be back by 12 ish for lunch and solar viewing.

Mark

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Pig said:

Ken, to be sure take some small flat pieces of plywood / MDF or even stone to put underneath you tripod feet, they will distribute the weight and stop any sinking.

What a fantastic idea Pig :grin:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Guys

We leave at 9.30 after a full English breakfast and we will be back by 12 ish for lunch and solar viewing.

Mark

Just checked with Gmaps pedometer and stating 8.5miles so probably a good 3-4hours walk for most. I'd make one but with the crystal clear Friday, Saturday and Sunday night that Nick has ordered for us I will probably be in bed until after lunch :grin:

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Pig said:

Ken, to be sure take some small flat pieces of plywood / MDF or even stone to put underneath you tripod feet, they will distribute the weight and stop any sinking.

That's brilliant Shaun, why didn't I think of that?

Thanks! ;) 

4 hours ago, DRT said:

3 hours ago, mdstuart said:

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Just checked with Gmaps pedometer and stating 8.5miles

8.5 miles = 13.7km - my estimation skills haven't faded despite state of my knees :smile:

That is not an inconsiderable hike in the Peaks in March. If you intend going, come prepared and properly attired :wink:

Cobbled together some of my favourite binaries . There are some challenges there, most have been with the C6r. Just started observing old favourites with the OO Newt. The straight across vane makes stars almost frac like !

In particular Tegmine and "La Superba" are lovely. Nick.IMG_4528.JPGIMG_4529.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Cobbled together some of my favourite binaries . There are some challenges there, most have been with the C6r. Just started observing old favourites with the OO Newt. The straight across vane makes stars almost frac like !

In particular Tegmine and "La Superba" are lovely. Nick.IMG_4528.JPGIMG_4529.JPG

That puts my random "Oh, those two stars are close together" observation methodology seem a bit amateurish :rolleyes2:

• Like 3

Yes you are right looking again at the link..perhaps turn right along the river Dove to cut off about an hour of the walk above. :)

We might all be too tired anyway after the night of double stars!

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

Printed off and in my folder all ready.

• Like 2

When you've finished the binaries, there's a few galaxies. Coma Berenices into Virgo is happy hunting ground. Hoping to see the CnV galaxies as well,IMG_4530.JPG

• Like 4