Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_jupiter.jpg

cotterless45

DIY Spring Peak star party.

588 posts in this topic

Great reports and images Shane :happy8:

1 person likes this

Nice ones Shane! I certainly recognize the Comet at the end of that lovely string of stars :) 

1 person likes this

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 12:52, Moonshane said:

58db9faf5302f_NGC3898and388820170325.thumb.JPG.e54451070396e33e9651cdf361c65584.JPG

This is almost the drawing that I made on Saturday too, but didn't have the lower galaxy - Don't suppose you can remember if there were two bright stars above the galaxy too? I was trying to identify it in Stellarium, but that only shows two stars where both you and I have 3, so I miss identified it.

The field I sketched seems close to my star map of Abell 1377which contains these two galaxies and two others which I missed but possibly I did get one (I think the top star in the pair bottom left might be NGC 3850) but didn't realise at the time as I was using low power. My sketch covers the area at the top.  Sorry for rubbish photo - done on phone in lounge!

20170330_224436_resized.thumb.jpg.dd52ab765334a961767354f23d43b0f9.jpg

2 people like this

yeah, two stars above, just outside your circle. That'll be the one i got then. Thanks.

3888 was either too dim for me, or just out of my FOV

1 person likes this

The circle is about 1.5 degrees. Check again next time - it will still be there :happy6:

Posted (edited)

another photo

IMGP4329.JPG

Edited by gtis
editing
5 people like this

Super picture. Without the milky sky ( all over the uk) and away from the extraneous light sources , just shows the potential. Definitely on for an October meet , providing we book pitches at the rear .

Nick.

1 person likes this

That's lovely - Orion just like I see from my garden - what sort of exposures take a photo like that please?

Pentax k3 30sec f/3.5 17mm

gtis - many thanks, I'll have to see if I get something similar on my canon.

Hi just set the camera to manual mode set the lens wide open set exposure to around 30secs and ISO to 800/1000 

neil

2 people like this

17 minutes ago, gtis said:

Hi just set the camera to manual mode set the lens wide open set exposure to around 30secs and ISO to 800/1000 

That's great, many thanks - I might be able to show folks on SGL just how many stars I get to see some nights.

2 people like this