Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Images from Sept 22, 2016 Various processing comparisons

WestCoastCannuck

I STILL have not seen the night sky for weeks.  Hope to at least get a shot of the moon rising Monday.  

Went thru my meager selection of stacks I have taken, and found another I thought worth a go at.  My pro tog friend has said that at my chosen settings (low ISO) stacking gives me no benefit.  So I have done a comparison.  I took my best single frame out of the stack, and posted it unaltered.  Then I took that same frame and edited it as best I could with LR and Astra Image.  At the end, is my full out attack with an 11 frame stack and all the optimizations I have learned to play with.  Also included a couple of 100% crops.

As always, feedback appreciated. :)

Equipment used:  Sony A77ii, Minolta AF400 F4.5 APO G + 2X APOii TC

1. Best single frame - shot in raw and straight conversion to jpg.  1600px

20160922-DSC00344.JPG

2.  Next up is same frame, post processed as best I could in LR and Astra Image.

ms1+MSc.JPG

3. Next is 11 frame stack.  Raws to Tiff is in Lightroom.  Pre-align in PIPP.  Stacked in AutoStakkert2, Processed in Astra Image for Lucy Richards deconvolution, back to Registax for wavelets, then Astra Image again for Multi contrast.  (I like Registax best for wavelets, Astra Image for everything else.)

20161111-LR1+REG+AI MC-3.JPG

A couple of close ups of the last.

20161111-LR1+REG+AI MC-8.JPG

20161111-LR1+REG+AI MC-6.JPG

:)

Good set of images, my own personal preference is the single RAW in the second image but thats how I tend to do mine although I do sometimes stack two or three converted as TIFFs manually in Photoshop and move the opacity sliders between the layres to get the most detail (making sure the total is 100%).

Alan

P.S. I sometimes also split the image into RGB, often one channel has far more info than the others and then covert it to greyscale as a new layer in the stack.

6 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Good set of images, my own personal preference is the single RAW in the second image but thats how I tend to do mine although I do sometimes stack two or three converted as TIFFs manually in Photoshop and move the opacity sliders between the layres to get the most detail (making sure the total is 100%).

Alan

P.S. I sometimes also split the image into RGB, often one channel has far more info than the others and then covert it to greyscale as a new layer in the stack.

Thanks much for the tips and feedback!   In just a couple of lines you have given me a whole new approach to try out.   After ten years of shooting digital photography - I still have avoided learning PS.  But ...  I must I suppose.   I have got by with LR, but the lack of layers has been an issue more than once.   Really appreciate. :)

Mike

3 minutes ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Thanks much for the tips and feedback!   In just a couple of lines you have given me a whole new approach to try out.   After ten years of shooting digital photography - I still have avoided learning PS.  But ...  I must I suppose.   I have got by with LR, but the lack of layers has been an issue more than once.   Really appreciate. :)

Mike

If you haven't got Photoshop this thread might be of interest, I am finding it to be a very capable piece of software. 

Alan

Archived