Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi all,

For the first time in my life i have bought a telescope(celestron astromaster 130eq)..So iam very intrested in seeing my favourite orion nebulae , How can i get a closer image of it like shown in many pictures..Is it possible to see very closer from this telescope and how the color comes? is the color of nebulae is fake or real? What eyepiece can i use to see the distant deepsky objects very close and clearly...

Thank u....

welcome respond. The colour in the photos is real, but it comes from long exposure photographs which the eye just isn't capable of picking up. You will see some colours in the night sky, but it will mostly be black and white, especially for DSOs. Large apperture (up at like 18") may show some colour on the brighter objects on a good night.

there is a thread called "what can I expect to see" - I think it's pinned in this section - have a read of that.

:)

• Like 1

Welcome.

The Orion Nebula is one of the clearest DSOs we can see. Other DSOs, with visual observing, often look like a small and faint grey fuzzies. When they are star clusters, you can often resolve them into individual stars, when the sky is quiet. But things like galaxies will stay fuzzy. Take a look also in the sketch forum. And if you see a sketch, look at the size of the telescope.

Astro-photographers with a modest size telescope and a sturdy mount can take impressive pictures of DSOs. This requires long exposure and an investment in a following mount and learning the right techniques.

What will give you the best pictures of DSOs are dark skies! A grey blob that you see at home, can be resolved into a globular cluster with thousands of stars under a dark sky.

Edited by Linda
  • Like 2

welcome

Taking images your first option is afocal. This is holding something like a camera phone up to the eyepeice and being very steady and taking an image. Depending on how sensitive your camera is you might capture something.

I find using google to find out about the deep space object I am looking at helps tell a vivid story as what I can actually see is a grey shady blob.

Regards afocal-photography, the pictured adapter is widely available, bearing many different outfit's brands - but all the same.

Digital Camera-Mount a.jpeg

Digital Camera-Mount b.jpeg

If you get one, they are usually stiff and hard to use. disassembling them is easy - then clean off the old grease they come with, and re-grease with better stuff. Then they work very nicely.

Enjoy!

Dave

On 17/11/2016 at 03:24, Dave In Vermont said:

Regards afocal-photography, the pictured adapter is widely available, bearing many different outfit's brands - but all the same.

Digital Camera-Mount a.jpeg

Digital Camera-Mount b.jpeg

If you get one, they are usually stiff and hard to use. disassembling them is easy - then clean off the old grease they come with, and re-grease with better stuff. Then they work very nicely.

Enjoy!

Dave

I bought one of these (Zhumell branded) way back when i bought my 1st scope. Great piece of kit if all you have is a point and shoot digicam.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By baticles
      Hi all i am wondering if there is someone or a few people that can help me with choosing the right and my first telescope any help would be great full thank you. 
      i intend to use it to look at deep sky objects like nebulas other solar systems if thats even possible and anything else out side of our solar system,
      i also wish to view objects, planets and moons in our solar system,
      i do wish to do some astrophotography in the future so if i can get a telescope that is brilliant at viewing and for photography that would be awesome 
      i have a budget of around £1500 
      the telescopes i have been looking at are these but i am so unsure i need some help with choosing the right one for me, if there is a cheaper option i am all down for that then i can buy some accessories  to go with it, 
      https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-250pds-neq6-pro-goto-telescope.html
      https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-nexstar-8-se-telescope.html
      thank you for taking your time to help me out
    • By MrGuGuZai
      Why there's black line around in my view 20mm eyepiece?
      Celestron ExploraScope 70AZ 

• By grievous
      Hello! I have a question on how can I mount my camera to my Sky-Watcher Starquest 130P telescope? I’ve watched so many videos about it and there’s so many different answers on what I need to do that. At the moment, I have 2x Barlow lens and a DSLR. I know that a T-ring is also necessary but is there anything more? Any help is highly appreciated, thanks! (I’m really new to telescopes and astrophotography in general so I hope I don’t say anything dumb)
    • By LordSaladMan
      I'll begin this post by saying, I've searched every forum.  I've tried every tip.  And I'm hoping you beautiful people can provide some suggestions based on my specific issue.  Because, as my title states, I'm just about ready to give up.  Here's a bit of background before I list the many ways I've tried to resolve the issue.
      I own a Celestron NextStar 8SE and a Canon Rebel T6.  After many nights of trying, I cannot get a clear image of planets, or even the moon.  I've given it plenty of time to reach thermal equilibrium each night (1-2 hours).  When viewing through the eyepiece, the image is an absolute blur.  When viewing from the camera, I get no image at all.
      Here are the things I've tried on the telescope itself:
      Focusing the telescope via the "Focus Knob" Collimating the mirror via the 3 screws Using a Duncan Mask to make collimation easier. Focusing the telescope on an object much closer, getting a clear, sharp image through the eyepiece and the DSLR, then attempting to view a star. Waiting for, and viewing during, a near-perfect clear night with very little atmospheric turbulence. I live on the westcoast of the US.  So, the only objects I'm able to see clearly (with the naked eye) are the moon and Venus.  I cannot describe the level of disappointment and frustration I feel when I can't clearly view them from the scope.  Venus is as bright as ever, and I'm getting a blur.  I tried using the DSLR and the planet doesn't show up at all.  Just black skies.  My DSLR settings are as follows:
      Manual Focus Shutter Speed: Bulb ISO: 1600 What am I missing?  I feel like I've tried everything and I just want to throw up my hands in defeat.
    • By Piero
      As part of my equipment reduction, I'm selling the following items:
      Vixen HR 3.4mm (like new) £200 Vixen HR 2.4mm (like new) £200 1.25" Lunt Herschel Wedge (prism, ND filter, and wedge housing structure like new. Locking screw requires tapping and threading. Hence the discount) £80 SOLD The Vixen HR are the best eyepieces I have ever owned. A few members on CN matched them with the Pentax XO. No light scattering and incredibly sharp. In my opinion colour tone is neutral and sits in between the Docter UWA and my Zeiss Zoom eyepieces. Eye relief is comfortable if spectacles are not used (which should not at high magnification).
      The Lunt Herschel Wedge is an excellent tool for white light solar observing using a refractor. It works even better when combined with a Baader solar continuum filter in my opinion. The hole of the locking screw of the solar wedge requires tapping/threading. Apart from that, everything is in excellent conditions, essentially indistinguishable from new items.
      Caps and boxes (hard case for the wedge) are included, of course.
      Price includes 1st class RM signed-for. Payment via PayPal (as friends) or bank transfer. Collection from Cambridge also available if preferred.
      Thanks for looking,
      Piero

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.