SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need some software.

Nova2000

Hi all

I've planned my hardware and now it's time for software. I've been using dss and I feel like upgrading. (just feel like) 

I am searching for software to process stack photos. Create mosaic images. Control mounts scope camera etc. I've kept about 600+100$for software as I want a good and long serving piece of software. My laptops have 4gb and 16gb rams and are duel and quad core i5 processors. (a Lenovo and macbook pro) 

Thankyou 

Rajesh 

50 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Hi all

I've planned my hardware and now it's time for software. I've been using dss and I feel like upgrading. (just feel like) 

I am searching for software to process stack photos. Create mosaic images. Control mounts scope camera etc. I've kept about 600+100$for software as I want a good and long serving piece of software. My laptops have 4gb and 16gb rams and are duel and quad core i5 processors. (a Lenovo and macbook pro) 

Thankyou 

Rajesh 

PixInsight seems to be a favourite around here for stacking, and with all the features it has, I am not surprised.

For mosaics, try Microsoft Image Composite Editor (free, but very good)

For image processing (post stack/mosaic) I'd say the best bet is still currently photoshop. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program, naughty!) would be a suitable free replacement once the 2.9 release becomes official and not "beta", but even then there are quite a few plugins for PS that are helpful for astro (aka. "hasta la vista, green", although I think you can do exactly what that program does by using LAB color and putting the brush to "lighten")

I'm not sure about mount control, but I think stellarium has some features for that. Someone will be around sooner or later to point out all the software I've forgotten to mention :)

Happy hunting!

~pip

SGP and PI for me;

am a recent convert to Sequence Generator Pro and rate it considerably higher than previously, it will sort all your camera/guiding/mount control and also has an excellent mosaic creation add-on tool 

Pixinsight - does it all from stacking through to full processing but needs subtlety and is a very steep learning curve although there are plenty of free and very good resources out there

Software I generally use-

Capture: SGPro

Process: StarTools, Pixinsight, PhotoShop,

Alignment/Registration/Stack: Registar, AstroArt, DSS, Regim

Quite a lot of overlap in functionality in the above programs but SGPro is the only data capture program I use, the others I tend to swap and change as the mood takes me :)

ChrisH

I would not call Nebulosity an image processing programme, it can do some, but not a lot, star tools and Pixinsight are purely processing programmes...

maxim DL is a capture, guiding, and has some processing options, a bit like Nebulosity.. :)

Archived