Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First go at the Outer Limits Galaxy (NGC891)

Skipper Billy

First go at the Outer Limits Galaxy (NGC 891) from last night. HEQ5, SW ED80, Atik 460EX, Bader LRGB Filters, Atik EFW2 - guided with ST80 and Lodestar, processed in PixInsight. Seeing pretty poor - high wispy cloud. 24 x 300 sec Lum binned 1x1, 20 each of 100 sec RGB binned 2x2. Heavily cropped (its a tiny wee thing) and processed in a hurry (blacks clipped) - will revisit it when I have more time!!! It was a long night last night!! Lots of other galaxies hiding in the background !!

First time I have had opportunity to get two sets of data in one night !!!

Outer Limits GalaxyJPEG.jpg

2 minutes ago, gorann said:

I agree that it is lovely with great detail even if cropped, but I am also confused about the star spikes using a SW ED80. Maybe you mixed up your scopes in the dark?

I thought exactly the same as I have an 80ED and don't get diffraction spikes, but assumed they came about in processing.  Glad it's not just me that thought that.

4 hours ago, gorann said:

I agree that it is lovely with great detail even if cropped, but I am also confused about the star spikes using a SW ED80. Maybe you mixed up your scopes in the dark?

That could be microlensing of the camera sensor--I know the SBIG STT-8300M uses microlensing and I get tiny spikes similar to this with a refractor (a bit smaller I will grant--then again this image has been cropped, so they probably look enlarged.

On 11/7/2016 at 19:43, James said:

Nice image :) There's a fair few other galaxies in there too... even a mini-'891 to the left :)

James

That's NGC898 I think.  Great image, I also like seeing the smaller fuzzies in an image like this - there's quite a lot in there.

Just out of curiosity - has the image been flipped somehow, as NGC898 would normally be to the lower left of NGC891? Not that it really matters.

I added the diffraction spikes in Photoshop then decided they looked silly and removed them - then promptly uploaded the wrong image - this is the correct 'version' - I havent knowingly flipped the image. It was definitely taken with my ED80 - its the only scope I have !! (Apart from a Heritage 130 which might struggle a wee bit for imaging !!!) 

OL.jpg

Archived