SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M16 Eagle Nebula in Ha (1x10min subframe)

GordonH

Hi all

Last week before I imaged the Pacman nebula (posted earlier here) I was doing a few test exposures of different subjects that were low in the sky. I thought I would try out the Eagle nebula and try for a few subframes to see what would turn out (to give an idea of how low it was in the sky the telescope was horizontal), unfortunately after the first subframe it decided to hide behind the roof of my shed, so that was that for M16, later on I carried on with the Pacman nebula after redoing the polar alignment due to me accidentally nudging one of the feet on the Tri-Pier.

Anyway to cut a long story short I was bored this afternoon as the weather has turned nasty again so I was having a fiddle around with some images and noticed that the solitary subframe of M16 was still there so I loaded the FIT file into CS2 and had a go at processing it, rather than using the full widefield image I cropped it so only the nebula is filling the frame and the end result is below. Obviously it is over processed (my apologies for that) as I had to use a fair bit of noise reduction to help smooth the image, but I think I still managed to retain some of the detail. If ever it gets high enough I will have another go at a few more subframes or even use the pier raising motor on the Tri-Pier 2 (gives 20 inch extra height without affecting polar alignment). I hope it is worthy of posting

Thanks for looking

Gordon :D

post-13589-133877344274_thumb.jpg

Archived