SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pixinsight Batch Pre Proccessing

deepview

Hi all,

I think every one is having the same problem.

What does the error message mean and how to fix it.

Ive downloaded the latest version today 06/11/2016 and taken bios, darks, and lights at the same angle and position, focus, IOS setting.

The flats i used same settings but rotated the telescope to point at a white board back of my roll off shed.

Thats the only thing that changes angle. All the images are the same size, i think the flats could be 90 deg out.

Tried rotating them 90 deg and saving as fits and them re-using them and i got the same error.

PLEASE HELP :-)

if you need any details please let me know.

* Begin calibration of light frames

* Searching for a master dark frame with exposure time = 49.990002s -- best match is 39.849998s

* Master bias: C:/Users/work/Downloads/PK_Tether_0_7_0/4 nov 2016 lights m42 m31 m27 m57 darks/m31/New folder/master/bias-BINNING_1.xisf

* Master dark: C:/Users/work/Downloads/PK_Tether_0_7_0/4 nov 2016 lights m42 m31 m27 m57 darks/m31/New folder/master/dark-BINNING_1-EXPTIME_39.85.xisf

* Master flat: C:/Users/work/Downloads/PK_Tether_0_7_0/4 nov 2016 lights m42 m31 m27 m57 darks/dark lights/lights and darks/25 sec/IMGP3945.DNG

ImageCalibration: Global context

Loading master calibration frames:

Loading calibration frame image:

C:/Users/work/Downloads/PK_Tether_0_7_0/4 nov 2016 lights m42 m31 m27 m57 darks/m31/New folder/master/bias-BINNING_1.xisf

Loading image 'integration': w=4950 h=3284 n=1 Gray Float32

1 image property

Loading image 'rejection_low': w=4950 h=3284 n=1 Gray Float32

1 image property

Loading image 'rejection_high': w=4950 h=3284 n=1 Gray Float32

1 image property

* Ignoring 2 additional image(s) in master calibration frame.

20 FITS keyword(s) extracted.

Loading calibration frame image:

C:/Users/work/Downloads/PK_Tether_0_7_0/4 nov 2016 lights m42 m31 m27 m57 darks/m31/New folder/master/dark-BINNING_1-EXPTIME_39.85.xisf

Loading image 'integration': w=4950 h=3344 n=1 Gray Float32

1 image property

Loading image 'rejection_low': w=4950 h=3344 n=1 Gray Float32

1 image property

Loading image 'rejection_high': w=4950 h=3344 n=1 Gray Float32

1 image property

* Ignoring 2 additional image(s) in master calibration frame.

*** Error: Incompatible image geometry

<* failed *>

* End calibration of light frames

The error  "Incompatible Geometry" refers to the problem with the pixel count, height and width, of the images, it does not take into account differing pointing angles.

When you look at the images you are loading they are differing heights, the first set is 4950 x 3284 and the second set is 4950 x 3344.

I can't say though why your images have turned out different, you will need to go back to the source subs and double check the camera has taken images with the same height and width pixel numbers and then work forward in the different preprocessing steps from there to determine what has changed.

The batch preprocessing module "should" not take any notice of the orientation of the camera, it "should" read the sensor in strict pixel order, row and line. It is only when you open an image manually that the image is displayed "flipped" using the camera's recorded orientation either landscape or portrait. If you go to the Format Explorer tab and click on DSLR-RAW and select the file type used by your camera, then click on "Edit Prefs" at the bottom of the page then you can tick the box "No Image Flip" to ensure when you open an image manually it is always displayed in landscape format with pixel order observed.

If you are trying to mix masters made manually with raw data in the batch preprocessing script then in the Format Explorer tab, DSLR-RAW, your file type, edit prefs, either, push the button "Pure RAW" to set up pure raw defaults (these are used automatically by the batch preprocessing script), or "Debayer RGB" and tick in addition "No image flip" + "No Highlight Clipping" + "No Black point Correction".

In "Pure Raw" you will be working with files in the raw state, (monochrome image with the bayer matrix still applied), just as the batch preprocessing module uses them. In "Debayer-RGB" with "No Highlight clipping and No Black Point Correction" you will be working in debayered colour but otherwise still linear data and the master files you create using either mode of operation can be loaded into the batch preprocessing module for combination with other raw data where the characteristics will match.

I think i fixed the problem. When the camera takes photos at 90 deg the image size changes by a few pixels on the Pentax k5 sii , i had to re-sample the image to the same rotation and pixel size.

I think i will photo the lights with a white t-shirt and a white torch so i don't have to rotate the telescope and keep the image size the same.

Need no fireworks and clear skys :-)

I think the person that designed the manual for your camera must have been nuclear physicist, so many references to see other pages when you just need a simple description of function, ended up following one function description over ten different pages and many of the links given in the camera setup and customisation index lead to dead ends, or pages describing something completely different!

Perhaps it is only the PDF online document that is like this and the printed version is ok.

However, the different image size when rotated might be to do with the anti-shake and auto horizon correction options, if you have them enabled for daytime use, they should both be turned off for astro, might be worth checking?

Shake reduction probably applies only when a Pentax compatible lens is attached but horizon correction, if I read it right, seems to automatically change the read angle of the detector matrix with reference to the camera's built-in level sensing so it might be chopping off a few lines at the top and bottom of the saved RAW image file.

20 hours ago, Oddsocks said:

I think the person that designed the manual for your camera must have been nuclear physicist, so many references to see other pages when you just need a simple description of function, ended up following one function description over ten different pages and many of the links given in the camera setup and customisation index lead to dead ends, or pages describing something completely different!

Perhaps it is only the PDF online document that is like this and the printed version is ok.

However, the different image size when rotated might be to do with the anti-shake and auto horizon correction options, if you have them enabled for daytime use, they should both be turned off for astro, might be worth checking?

Shake reduction probably applies only when a Pentax compatible lens is attached but horizon correction, if I read it right, seems to automatically change the read angle of the detector matrix with reference to the camera's built-in level sensing so it might be chopping off a few lines at the top and bottom of the saved RAW image file.

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 20.09.04.png

Hi and thanks for the advice,

Ive turned off the rotation and anti shake, this should stop the images turning and being different sizes.

Im hoping for a clear night to take some more photos, darks, bios, & flats again to test the process.

Thanks again for the info and ideas.

Im testing pix-insight and dss for stacking with darks, flats and bios.

Looking cloudy and the moment but hope it clears as i got lots of testing to do.

Archived