Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

So last night at 8:10 PM I decided to point my telescope to Alpha Piscium to start star hopping to Ceres. I hopped through a few 7th magnitude stars until I came across 3 stars in a crooked line. The one on top of this line was Ceres. I decided to show my Father, since he always wanted to see an asteroid with his own eyes so why not show him the biggest? At magnitude +7.6 it isn't at it's brightest but its magnitude is slowly rising back up to 8th magnitude so it's now a good time to observe it!

The first image is exactly what I seen through my telescope ( Celestron 114 LCM 4.5 inch reflector) using Stellarium's optical view and the other images are just highlighting where Ceres is.

I enjoyed looking at Ceres and I can't wait to watch it's path across Cetus! Clear skies!

2016-06-11--12-13-12.jpeg

2016-06-11--12-14-16.jpeg

2016-06-11--12-15-38.jpeg

• Like 8

I keep intending to give Ceres a try but for some reason I keep forgetting about it when I get outside :happy6:

• Like 1

excellently reported. Even thought they didn't look much, I recall following vesta & ceres in 2014. its not always what you actual see, its more what it represents.

• Like 1

Hi bunnygod1, thanks! Ceres is quite hard to see as a disc at 0.6 arc seconds ( Neptune is 2.3 arc seconds currently ) But like you said it's about what it represents not how it looks.

• Like 3

Was able to see Ceres for the first time last night. In my 7" refractor I could be convinced that the Airy disc is a fraction bigger than that of an 8th magnitude star nearby. To my eye it has a slightly blueish hue. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2016 at 11:17, timwetherell said:

Was able to see Ceres for the first time last night. In my 7" refractor I could be convinced that the Airy disc is a fraction bigger than that of an 8th magnitude star nearby. To my eye it has a slightly blueish hue. 

Hello Tim, I think it appears blue because of the Earth's atmosphere. I just got a white dot in my 4.5" reflector.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mark 2020
      Hi guys
      Help please. Last night I purchased an old celestron c8 sct, 2000mm fl, f10 on a fork mount. The mount has no power cable so is pretty useless, but i brought it to defork the ota for planetary imaging and hopefully some small faint dso's. It was a reasonable price. Ive got a heq5 pro mount that i will be mounting it onto. The guy said it needs collimation. I know i need to mount it on a vixen dovetail but the bolt holes dont line up anywhere. Its as if someone has rotated the corrector plate housing around 120 degrees. Would it make a huge difference if i removed the housing screws and put it back so that the bolts line up, keeping the mirror and plate in the same spot on the housing bracket,  or would i have to try put everything back separately in different positions and collimate everything from scratch. The picture at the minute doesn't quite get crisp so whatever has been done needs rectifying. Can this even be done by us regular folk? Any thoughts or ideas, instructions? I feel the plate could do with a clean and the primary mirror itself. I just want it as optimum as possible. And can a hyperstar be fitted to these older versions? Im literally starting from scratch with an sct setup. Also what type of camera would suit a scope with this focal length for faint dso's, i have a gp290c for the planetary side of imaging. Sorry for the bombardment of questions. 

• By spaceboi
      Hi there! I am seeking for advice from you good people.
      I want to create a setup for stargazing which is fully automated. Ideally every process like scope calibration, guiding, tracking, focusing and taking photos should be done through WiFi, preferably from an iPad tablet.
      Planetary imaging is the main purpose. I don't really care about deep space imaging.
      I want the whole setup to be rather cheap, small and light, at the expense of imaging quality.
      I am a total noob (used to play with an ETX-70 lots of years ago), but I really need the functionality I have described above.
      I am thinking of using the bellow components and kindly request that you correct/add to the list:
      1) AstroFi 102
      2) A ZWO camera suitable for planetary imaging (any ideas for less than or equal to $250)
      3) An auto focuser and motor drive (any ideas)
      4) Smth like an ASi air device?
      Is a guider necessary for planetary imaging, by the way?
      Do you think I am in the right path?
      I still have not been able to really comprehend  the full picture. Is what I am asking for doable?
      Thank you very much in advance!
    • By Abhinav
      which webcam is best for planetary imaging under 25 USD . If you have experience of any webcam for planetary work please help me out 

• By beka
      Link to amusing story https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/17/wasteroid_qv89_earth/
      Cheers 
    • By MikeODay
      Back in March I was granted an observatory code ( Q69 ) by the Minor Planet Center ( MPC ) and since then I have been spending all my available telescope time ( which due the weather has admittedly not been very much  ) to capturing images of asteroids, that the MPC is interested in recieving data for, and sending in the positions that I have determined.
      Mostly I have been focused on asteroids that have not been observed/reported on during their current return to visibility.
      2014 LA21 was my first after getting my code ...

Here I was the first to report astrometry for 2014 LA21 since 2016 - not like discovering a new comet I imagine but still, a small achievement and  a nice feeling
      You may have noticed that I don't as yet supply any brightness data; this is because I have not figured out how I can do this reliably ( most of the asteroids I am chasing are very dim and so my 4 minute exposures tend to spread them a little making them hard to compare to nearby stars ).
      I have been getting reasonably good position data though, with a "variation to average path" across the samples of sub 1 arcsec ( typically less than 0.5 and sometimes down as low 0.15 )
      Anyway, I was just thought I would let people know what I have been up to and why you have not seem me latley over on deep sky imaging forum and also, I was wondering if there is anyone else here on Stargazerslounge doing the same thing ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.