Narrowband

My Ceres observation last night.

So last night at 8:10 PM I decided to point my telescope to Alpha Piscium to start star hopping to Ceres. I hopped through a few 7th magnitude stars until I came across 3 stars in a crooked line. The one on top of this line was Ceres. I decided to show my Father, since he always wanted to see an asteroid with his own eyes so why not show him the biggest? At magnitude +7.6 it isn't at it's brightest but its magnitude is slowly rising back up to 8th magnitude so it's now a good time to observe it!

The first image is exactly what I seen through my telescope ( Celestron 114 LCM 4.5 inch reflector) using Stellarium's optical view and the other images are just highlighting where Ceres is.

I enjoyed looking at Ceres and I can't wait to watch it's path across Cetus! Clear skies!

2016-06-11--12-13-12.jpeg

2016-06-11--12-14-16.jpeg

2016-06-11--12-15-38.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 11:17, timwetherell said:

Was able to see Ceres for the first time last night. In my 7" refractor I could be convinced that the Airy disc is a fraction bigger than that of an 8th magnitude star nearby. To my eye it has a slightly blueish hue. 

Hello Tim, I think it appears blue because of the Earth's atmosphere. I just got a white dot in my 4.5" reflector.

Archived