SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light 130 Triplet

DaveS

Well, sort of first light. After doing a 20 point model I tried 1 hour of 5 min Luminance subs of M33. Very rough process, bias only then 3 histogram stretches with gentle curves. Because of the LP I took the L subs through an Astronomik CLS-CCD filter.

Photoline test.png

I'm not sure about the focus though, as I rather rushed into taking the subs after doing the model without checking with a B-mask, in too much of a hurry to get an image. I could definitly do with taking Flats.

Hi Dave, yes it's the whoke frame, 910mm is giving me a very nice fl for framing.

It was raining fire here too, which is why I was concentrating on modeling. I tried a Ha but the MLPT went haywire so I spent the rest of the night doing an Autopoint model which gave me 40 points which I'll try to add to the 20 I already have.

I think from here my next 'scope is likely to be something in the 2m+ fl range, possibly  10" GSO RC, but not until I can move somewhere dark to make imaging galaxies really worthwhile.

Very nice image

There seems to be a bit of tilt in focal plane? Stars in bottom left part of the image are bit out of focus.

Also interesting "feature" on one of the stars - big one on the top about 1/4 way from the left - looks like two jets coming out of it?

Argh! Focus tilt! Not the dreaded focus tilt!

Actually, there may be some in the Trius camera, which has a tilt plate built in. I've been meaning to dowmload a trial of CCD Inspector so this might be a good oportunity.

All the componants of the imaging train are screwed together, and the focuser was locked, both the pinion and the draw tube, which is 3.7" dia.

I've just pulled the PNG into AstroArt on the main computer with its 27" monitor (I processed and posted from my laptop) and looking in the bottom left corner I see slightly radially elongated stars that look a bit comatic.

Oh dear, another job for the next clear night. Monday looks good so far.

Well, I had another play with the data on the main machine. After the stack (Sigma, Bias only, Hot Pixel removal) I used the Gradient Removal tool, followed by two stretches with curves and a slight unsharp mask. Not sure if there's enough data yet to justify an unsharp mask, but what the heck.

Photoline trial 2nd process.png

Definitely need to take flats, as I can see some shadows that may be dust bunnies on the filter.

Many thanks to all for the kind comments and pointers to a minor problem that I hadn't spotted.

Debating about Monday now. I really want to get some RGB data, and I may be able to get an hour of each if I start early enough, but there's the tilt to be sorted out, plus I'm not quite orthogonal to RA and Dec.

I *think* I may put this to bed with some additional data, then sort out the orthogonality and tilt and move on.

Archived