stargazine_ep35_banner.thumb.jpg.a7c1791d7e682021778de0def357bdbb.jpg

My first ever shot at astrophotography!

Well, I have finally got my head around recording and stacking tonight and since it was a crisp, clear sky and a beautiful Waxing Crescent Moon shining out my window I decided to take my new Neximage Burst put it in my Celestron 114 LCM and headed out to my garden with my all my necessary equipment with me. I followed a great tutorial on how iCap and Registax worked and used these tutorials to record the Moon.  When the recording was done I stacked and processed the recording using Registax and when the final outcome came I was shocked how good it looked to me.

Maybe to you professional astrophotographers it may look very poor. But for a first timer it isn't that bad right? I am proud of it and hopefully it will be first of many for me! I can't wait till Venus rises up so I can practice on an actual planet. Though I am aware of the way Venus's atmosphere is extremely reflective with the amount of CO2 in in it's atmosphere and nearly every image turns white. But having a timelapse of photos of it's phases would be pretty cool. But before I go onto Venus I am definitely going to practice on the Moon.

A budding astronomer

moon1 processed.bmp

Edited by A budding astronomer
Grammar mistakes
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your first image, the fact that you have got everything working and a finished image is always worth the effort.

One bit of advice is try lowering your exposure and gain settings.
Get the brightest part of the moon into view and set the exposure for that. I normally try and set exposure to between 70 - 80%

Well done and keep them coming

• Like 1

Well done, keep this in a special folder on your computer and keep adding pictures every month. This is such a steep learning curve, but it's so much fun and the sense of achievement with every little improvement is so rewarding. I am just a total beginner with Astro photography and a word of advice is to set your expectations. I realise with my current set up,time, and budget, I will never achieve what some can on here, but I can still enjoy showing off pictures to friends and family. 

Keep going. 

Edited by Peco4321
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That sounds a very sucessful evening to have all the gear work on first use and come away with an image of the Moon, well done.

On 06/11/2016 at 01:54, WestCoastCannuck said:

Sweet!  Just started myself - though with a dslr/lens combo which limits me to the moon.

I look forward to following your progress! :)

Using a dslr and camera lens opens up doing great wide field images. Depending on the focal length of the lens you may get anything from 25 down to 3 seconds exposure length if using a static tripod. Take many images and then stack them using Deep Sky Stacker.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 2

And for future reference you need to save a version of your image in either PNG or JPG format to use here on SGL so that it will be automatically displayed in your post ... :icon_biggrin:

I for one do not like having to download unknown files in order to see an image ... :happy8:

• Like 1
9 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Using a dslr and camera lens opens up doing great wide field images. Depending on the focal length of the lens you may get anything from 25 down to 3 seconds exposure length if using a static tripod. Take many images and then stack them using Deep Sky Stacker.

Thanks for suggestion!  I am intending to try that out.  I have a Zeiss 135mm F1.8  that I want to try out on the sky.....   just need to find the time, and the place. :)

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      yesterday afternoon, the forecasts for the evening were good so I set up the 10" truss-tube Dobsonian on the terrace for cooling down. Actually in the evening the sky wasn't as clear as expected but the cirrostratus luckily did not harm too much. It could have been brighter but anyway ...
      So I tried my new 2x focal extender with the 10 inch scope for the first time and magnified up to 370x. Seeing was okay and I really enjoyed travelling along the terminator from Plato via Copernicus down to Clavius. For the 10"er the focal extender is really an enhancement when viewing the moon and conditions are okay: I saw much more detail in Clavius as I have ever observed before. 
      This would have been a good sketching target but finally I decided to go for a sketch of the magificient Copernicus (named after the famous Polish astronomer by Giovanni Riccioli mid of the 17th century): 
      The crater floor was still completely in darkness, one could only see the bright, round rim of this 93km wide crater. The terraced slopes were just partly in the lunar sunrise yet. Obviously the central peaks are as expected lower than the rim - they were still hidden in the darkness. The two craters north of it are Gay-Lussac A and Gay-Lussac on the way to the Montes Carpates with their eastern parts already visible.
      Here's the sketch:

Telescope: Martini 10" f/5 truss-tube Dobsonian
      Eyepiece: Explore Scientific 6.7mm/82° with Explore Scientific 2x focal extender
      Date & Time: Jan 22nd, 2021 / 1900-2000 CET
      Technique: Koh-i-Noor charcoal, whitecoal and chalk blocks and pens on black sketching paper
      Size: 11"x11"
      Clear skies!
      Achim
    • By endless-sky
      I would like to share my fourth image.
      With my "lucky week" of imaging, along with M33, I managed to finish also this project. This is my longest integration to date.
      These are IC 405 and IC 410, also known as the Flaming Star Nebula and the Tadpole Nebula, respectively, taken over 7 nights, under my Bortle 5/6 home sky.
      Total integration time: 18h 29m 00s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/11/18: Number of subs/Exposure time: 41@240s + 1@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/21: Number of subs/Exposure time: 48@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 46% illuminated
      2020/11/24: Number of subs/Exposure time: 48@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 75% illuminated
      2020/12/07: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 22@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/10: Number of subs/Exposure time: 37@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/11: Number of subs/Exposure time: 18@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      Total exposure time: 66540s = 18h 29m 00s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-7.

This image was particularly hard to process, since there are many bright stars and stretching the nebulosity while taming the stars was quite difficult. I am sure I didn't manage it as well as I would have liked.
      Here's a link to the full resolution image: Flaming Star Nebula (IC 405) and Tadpole Nebula (IC 410)
      Thanks for looking!
      C&C welcome!
    • By endless-sky
      I would like to share my third image.
      I finally had a "lucky week", since my last session, December 18th. I managed 5 clear nights out of the past 6 (has to be a record, at least for me and my area) and I was able to finish a couple of projects I had started long ago and start a few new ones.
      This is M33, also known as the Triangulum Galaxy, taken over 10 nights, under my Bortle 5/6 home sky.
      Total integration time: 10h 14m 00s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/11/08: Number of subs/Exposure time: 11@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/09: Number of subs/Exposure time: 10@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/20: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@240s + 4@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 30% illuminated
      2020/11/21: Number of subs/Exposure time: 22@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 45% illuminated
      2020/11/24: Number of subs/Exposure time: 20@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 75% illuminated
      2020/12/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 12@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/14: Number of subs/Exposure time: 8@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/18: Number of subs/Exposure time: 6@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 20% illuminated
      2021/01/10: Number of subs/Exposure time: 9@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/11: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      Total exposure time: 36840s = 10h 14m 00s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-7.

Image was Drizzle Integrated and then cropped to original sensor size (6016x4016), without resampling. So, it appears as if taken ad double the focal length (768mm instead of 384mm). Image scale 1.04 arc-sec/pixel.
      Here's a link to the full resolution image: Triangulum Galaxy (M33)
      Thanks for looking!
      C&C welcome!
    • By AJ-DE
      Hi All, I have a Star Adventurer but have had problems getting consistent results even when setup was as near to perfect as I can do, (this was focussed on due to this issue).

It took me a while to find out that when the eyepiece is is extended for focus it is very loose, so loose the graticule moves indipendantly of Polaris / background.

I have asked the supplier, "Astroshop.eu", to highlight the problem and ask for their feedback.

Question to Astroshop.eu:
      I have had a constant issue with Polar Alignment. As I cannot use it so often, (visibility), it has taken me a while to identify the problem. When I adjust the polar scope focus the eyepiece is so loose that the graticule moves a lot laterally in all directions in the view. I can send a video but I think you can  understand what I am saying.
      Basically I must be getting something very wrong or there is an issue with the product. The thread is so loose it is entirely unstable.
      Please advise what we can do about this.

Answer from Astroshop.eu:
      1. "I'am sorry to say, but this is very normal and does not affect the function of the star adventurer".
      2. "My collegue confirmed that this will not be a issue".

I have subsequently asked the guy to ask his colleague again, but some time has gone past and I have no further reply.

I think it is clear enough from the text and would really appreciate some experienced answer, any comments very welcome.
      Additionally here are the videos I have sent to show them, (hand holding the phone so a bit shaky but issue can be seen. I'd really appreciate some help before I spend too much time again tring to get it to work, for reference the eyepiece wobble is around 3.5 graticule intervals, so not small. As it's full of grease it took me a long time to see how poor quality the Polarscope build quality is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VC1p30t8n45oS6fkdxjkztrnoR1r7c6x/view?usp=sharing
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mjBaecqTmIhXgJUC-dERRYBb-LaryLMN/view?usp=sharing

Thank you all, Andy
    • By SpaceDave
      I'm new to the astrophotography hobby. I have experience with astronomy. I am struggling to make decent deep sky images (other than M42). The images don't seem to have much definition or brightness despite a decent overall exposure time. See the below images. I have seen on this forum that people are able to take awesome images of the below objects with my same setup. Is anyone able to tell me if I am missing something, please? Do I need even more exposure time?
      I use a Celestron 6SE with unmodified Canon 600D. It has a goto alt az, no EQ. I use a bahtinov mask to focus. Both images were taken with the native focal length of 1500mm, no filters or eyepieces.
      The image of the Triangulum Galaxy is 180 x 15sec ISO800 images. The Crab Neb is 250 x 15sec ISO800 images. Both images had their appropriate flats, darks and biases (30 of each). I use SIRIL to stack the images, which I have had good success with M42 before (see below).
      Any advice would be appreciated!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.