Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lx200 classic problem

When I use the auto star to go up it stops!!!  About half way. But if I manually move scope pointing up. I can go all the way back down and then completely up again.  But when I unplug and try again it will stop again half way when using the up direction. 

Somewhere in the menu is a sub-section that limits the elevation of the scope, this is to stop the diagonal and eyepiece being jammed under the lowest part of the mount, like I did last week.

Now I have never used this function and am not sure if this is the case but it seems a good place to look as I seem to recall that what state can happen with the arrow controls being the over-ride.

Have a look at this before you hunt down those who used to be at Telescope House as I know they are no longer there, but the expert on Meade gear started up on his own.

Alan 

This page has a list of Meade manuals online. Scroll down to the LX90 and you should find what you need.

http://www.meade.com/support/manuals/

The expert Alan refers to is called Steve Collingwood. Here he is with his own business. http://sctelescopes.com/telescope/  I didn't reaize that he'd started up on his own.

Olly

That's the very fellow Olly, I knew he was called Steve but didn't know his last name.

On the sub-menu I believe it is in Utilities but though I have seen it many times I cannot recall what it is called. Check the instructions book which you can veiw I line I believe, it has lists of menus and and subs.

I am not saying this is the answer but I feel it is a good place to at least check to see a limit, which of course would be in degrees has not been set by accident.

Alan

I used to have an ETX-90/EC that originally would slew directly towards the ground when I tried to attempt the initial 2 or 3 star alignment.  I downloaded and applied a firmware update and that resolved all the issues. Well... it still sounded like a coffee grinder when slewing, but the alignment and GoTo's were accurate! I'm not saying that is the fix for you, but it could be an idea if other efforts don't pan out.

Somewhere at the bottom of the select item / setup / menu is the reset button, you could try this first.

I think the MAPUG died many years ago but the Meade LX200 Yahoo group is worth a try for help.

Dave

25 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Somewhere at the bottom of the select item / setup / menu is the reset button, you could try this first.

I think the MAPUG died many years ago but the Meade LX200 Yahoo group is worth a try for help.

Dave

Thaks for that info Dave.   :icon_biggrin:

It does sound as if there is a set Elevation limit for the scope. The scope will stop at it but you can in effect over ride it manually.

Hitting the Reset should (but may not) erase it, however it will also erase everything else. If you go down the Reset route then check that the mount type is Alt/Az. The default seems to be Equitorial. This may be another option to check now: Is the mount defined as Alt/Az (Assumes it is being used in the Alt/Az mode). Just if the scope is set to EQ then about half way up would be vertical in EQ and it is not going to drive trhough that I suspect.

The LX200 Classic manual I have in electronic form (somewhat old) does not have the handset menu tree defined in it.

In the newer versions the options are under:

Select Item > Set up > Telescope > Mount Upper Limit, also

Select Item > Setup > Telescope > Mount.

Guessing Meade did not make a major change between the software in the 2 handsets.

Archived