SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Helios Apollo 15x70 and using UHC and H.Beta filters

A really great night for observing. I made the decision to use the 15x70 binos together with some filters to check a few interesting objects.

I started with a Lumicon UHC and Baader UHC-S  to view the Veil - was able to see both parts - Eastern part very easy but the Western part much more difficult. Up to the North American Nebula which was very clear.

Feeling positive I removed both filters and replaced the right eye with the Thousand Oaks H.Beta to view the California Nebula. Studied the area for some time and I could make out a glow - cross referencing Stellarium confirmed what I had detected.

Next object M1 especially as this had been a recent topic of discussion. Could just make out M1 without filters but replacing the UHC in both eyes confirmed the object.

Now for a few objects without filters starting with NGC 253 Sculptor Galaxy easy to find and quite clear - this must be a fantastic  object from a lower latitude. Looked at the position of M77 and could see a fuzzy spot - I suppose I knew the object from the scope which made life easier. Next M33 followed by Kemble's Cascade, M37, M36 and M38.

So I really like these binos especially with the ability to use filters.           

9 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

How did you attach the filters into the optical-pathway? I'd like to give this a go in my 15 X 70 Celestrons.

Dave

John is correct in his statement Dave. This is the main reason I upgraded from Celestron to the Apollo range. I have a mixture of quality UHC, O-111 and H.Beta filters so I can choose specific objects to match the filters. I am looking forward to the Rosette Nebula again which was brilliant in the binos earlier in the year.

Archived