SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DeepSkyStacker First Attempt Decent Try

CoolJWB

Hello again again...

My t-ring came yeasterday! Yay! So. I checked last night if it was clear outside and it was! It hasn't been clear weather the last month. So I rushed out and got like 50 photos of M45 (Pleiades) and some of Vega I think... 

So I got some nice pictures on M45 (Pleiades) and this is how it turns out after I stack it. I kinda like it but the stars is not in formation of Pleiades... Is it something wrong? 

I manually tracked the stars so it could be one problem but DeepSkyStacker fixes the problem by lining up the pictures, right? Because the edited picture lookes nothing like the Pleiades for me. Is it because the image is flipped or something like that? Also, about how long total exposure do I need to get a decent picture on Pleiades because the Edited picture is 50 pictures with 1 sec exposure that is stacked. Do I need like 50 10 second exposures to get the blue "stardust" around it to show up.    

Also I came up with the problem that my Edited picture became red after stacking. Just a guess that my bios files wasn't working with DeepSkyStacker...

Sorry if im not really clear because im Swedish so my English isn't on top XD.

PB032164.JPG

Edited Picture.png

The top image is certainly of the Pleiades but with Atlas and Pleione out of frame, which is why you're having trouble matching it up.

f9da1da53a8b9cdd3050b789f5cbcaa6.jpg

I'm not sure what the second image is showing.

The brightest part of the reflection nebulosity is around Merope so that shows up first, I'm not quite sure how long an exposure it will require - a great deal will depend on the equipment you're using.

If I understand you, picture 1 is a single image of M45 and picture 2 is the stacked image? If so, I think DSS is having problems aligning the images when it stacks. Is it finding enough stars to do a correct alignment? I have not used DSS for a long time but I think you can change the sensitivity of the star detection.

As for "how long before you can see the nebulosity"? It will depend on how dark your skies are but I got this from 15 minutes of images stacked (30 x 30s images). My skies are approx. SQM 20. With 1 sec images you would probably need 600+ images. If you can improve your manual tracking, say to 10s, then you would need to stack 60+ of these.

large.M45_20160929_v2.jpg

Also, if you rotate your camera by 45 to 90 degrees you will capture more of of M45.

Thanks for all the answers ?

Fist off the second Image as Knight Of Clear Skies is right on the not aligning part. I discoverd that my bios files was in JPEG and DSS does not support the JPEG file for bios if im right. So DDS gave me this error that it would not align. Im going to try again with a raw bios instead of JPEG. I think It's going to work or Im just wrong... 

And thanks Filroden for the info! Sadly again we here in Skellefteå have a snow period so I can't see much stars at the night ? But the next time I get a chance on a clear sky Im doing a polar alignment and take probebly 100 10 second Images. Also Im going to rotate the camera 45-90 degrees.

Yes jarraman I used GIMP 2 for removing the red background noise that DSS didn't remove.

Thanks for the answers again... XD 

?

Archived