Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

CoolJWB

DeepSkyStacker First Attempt Decent Try

Hello again again...

My t-ring came yeasterday! Yay! So. I checked last night if it was clear outside and it was! It hasn't been clear weather the last month. So I rushed out and got like 50 photos of M45 (Pleiades) and some of Vega I think... 

So I got some nice pictures on M45 (Pleiades) and this is how it turns out after I stack it. I kinda like it but the stars is not in formation of Pleiades... Is it something wrong? 

I manually tracked the stars so it could be one problem but DeepSkyStacker fixes the problem by lining up the pictures, right? Because the edited picture lookes nothing like the Pleiades for me. Is it because the image is flipped or something like that? Also, about how long total exposure do I need to get a decent picture on Pleiades because the Edited picture is 50 pictures with 1 sec exposure that is stacked. Do I need like 50 10 second exposures to get the blue "stardust" around it to show up.    

Also I came up with the problem that my Edited picture became red after stacking. Just a guess that my bios files wasn't working with DeepSkyStacker...

Sorry if im not really clear because im Swedish so my English isn't on top XD.

PB032164.JPG

Edited Picture.png

The top image is certainly of the Pleiades but with Atlas and Pleione out of frame, which is why you're having trouble matching it up.

f9da1da53a8b9cdd3050b789f5cbcaa6.jpg

I'm not sure what the second image is showing.

The brightest part of the reflection nebulosity is around Merope so that shows up first, I'm not quite sure how long an exposure it will require - a great deal will depend on the equipment you're using.

If I understand you, picture 1 is a single image of M45 and picture 2 is the stacked image? If so, I think DSS is having problems aligning the images when it stacks. Is it finding enough stars to do a correct alignment? I have not used DSS for a long time but I think you can change the sensitivity of the star detection.

As for "how long before you can see the nebulosity"? It will depend on how dark your skies are but I got this from 15 minutes of images stacked (30 x 30s images). My skies are approx. SQM 20. With 1 sec images you would probably need 600+ images. If you can improve your manual tracking, say to 10s, then you would need to stack 60+ of these.

large.M45_20160929_v2.jpg

Also, if you rotate your camera by 45 to 90 degrees you will capture more of of M45.

Edited by Filroden

I might be reading this wrong also,,,but after stacking in DSS,are you processing in a editing software,gimp,photoshop,pixinsight.

Thanks for all the answers ?

Fist off the second Image as Knight Of Clear Skies is right on the not aligning part. I discoverd that my bios files was in JPEG and DSS does not support the JPEG file for bios if im right. So DDS gave me this error that it would not align. Im going to try again with a raw bios instead of JPEG. I think It's going to work or Im just wrong... 

And thanks Filroden for the info! Sadly again we here in Skellefteå have a snow period so I can't see much stars at the night ? But the next time I get a chance on a clear sky Im doing a polar alignment and take probebly 100 10 second Images. Also Im going to rotate the camera 45-90 degrees.

Yes jarraman I used GIMP 2 for removing the red background noise that DSS didn't remove.

Thanks for the answers again... XD 

?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tjk01
      Im not exactly new to astrophotography but I am definitely new to stacking images. I first tried deep sky stacker because it seems it's what everyone uses. Almost every time I've tried stacking it only wants to stack 1 image cause of a star detection error. I made the detection threshold so it would detect the most amount of stars and it doesn't help. I read other posts and thought it was a focusing error on the stars so I made sure to focus the image as much as possible and the error still pops up. The Orion nebula picture is one of a data set where I tried to stack and the error came up but the stars are very clearly visible. Any suggestions? 
    • By perdrix
      DeepSkyStacker 4.2.4 Beta 3 is now available.
      https://github.com/deepskystacker/DSS/releases/tag/4.2.4-Beta-3
      Welcome to DeepSkyStacker 4.2.4 Beta 3
      The main changes in this release are:
      Fix to display Exposure, f-Stop, and ISO setting from EXIF tags in TIFF files. Update libtiff to  4.1.0 Automatic detection of CFA matrix based upon FITS keywords such as BAYERPAT, COLORTYP, and MOSAIC (for Meade DSI colour cameras).  The FITS File tab of the Raw/FITS DDP Settings dialogue has changed.  If you de-select the tick box for: "Monochrome 16 bit FITS Files are RAW files created by a DSLR or a color CCD camera", then automatic detection will be used.  You can override this by selecting this option and manually selecting the CFA pattern to be used.    All the other settings on that tab are now always available for modification. The exposure time is now correctly displayed for FITS files with the exposure time in microseconds (keyword EXPOINUS). Display a warning message saying that DeepSkyStacker won't de-Bayer 8-bit FITS images. Change code to read TIFF files in strips instead of by scanline.  This can reduce the time to read the image by as much as a factor of 3. Refactor the code to decode the TIFF file we just read and also use OpenMP.  Time to decode the image reduced by about 4-5 times. Refactor the code that writes TIFF files and use OpenMP to speed it up.   Also write the output file in strips rather than scanlines.  Substantial performance increase. Refactor the code that reads FITS files to make it easier to understand and also use OpenMP.  Only a marginal performance benefit. Major bug fix - calibration frames were either not applied or incorrectly applied when using Super-Pixel mode. Clear skies
      David

• By Sidecontrol
      Hey,
      I live in the NE of Scotland and have recently been bit by the Astrophotography bug!  I bought a Star tracker a few months back, but only started using it 3 weeks ago (due to crap weather).  The images posted are what I've managed to get with my Fujit XT2 and my various lenses.  Only just started stacking in DeepSkyStacker and trying to stretch / edit in Photoshop.  I've recently gotten the 45 day trial on Pixinsight so will be looking to try out editing in that.

Looking forward to learning a bunch from everyone!

• By perdrix
      https://github.com/deepskystacker/DSS/releases
      Please note that the translation of the help is not yet done. So the help will be either as it was previously or a mixture of (e.g.) French and English
      The main changes in this release are:
      The 32 bit version will now run on Windows XP SP3.  It is likely that the next release of DeepSkyStacker will not do so. The stacking settings dialog width has been increased to reduce or eliminate the need to scroll the tabs. Add .rw2 to list of RAW file extensions. Change the colour scheme for DeepSkyStacker Live to make it more "night vision" friendly. Recognise and use GAIN values in FITS file from CMOS/CCD cameras in a manner similar to how ISO is handled for matching darks, lights etc..   Please note this is not the same as EGAIN (e-/ADU).  It refers to the camera's scaling of EGAIN. Update help files and add a new Dutch version of the help. Issue #83: Provide the option to perform NO White Balance processing at all (requested by Ivo Jager for StarTools). Fix for issue #42 - the stacking method "Average" wasn't always reported in the recap html file. Common control library 6 now used so some cosmetic changes such as filled progress bars.  Make the progress dialogs non-modal so that DeepSkyStacker can be minimised while processing. Update the DeepSkyStacker taskbar icon with a progress bar that matches the main progress bar. Saving of final TIFF file is now faster, and a number of other performance enhancements have been made. Ctrl-A will select all images in the file list (not the same as "Check All"). Del key will delete an image from the file list so you don't need right click and select "Remove from list" Bug fix - if you change the type of an image from the file list "Properties" dialogue, the icon was changed, but the text wasn't. Clear skies
      David
    • By CoolJWB
      Hi, I have a problem with DSS. When I stack my images of like Pleaides "M45" I get images with no "stardust" in it.
      Is it because im using darks and bios images because when I don't I get pretty good images but verry noisy and bad images. LastTryTwo.TIFLastTryTwo.TIF   
      I am wondering do enyone know a solution for this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.