SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aldi binos & monocular this week under £15

nytecam

Aldi today had 8x40 binos for £13 and 20-60x60 monocular for £14 [reduced from £19] - think I've got it right from memory.   I know Aldi and Lidl have similar offers down the years but from experience they're soon sold out !   The optics and build - for the price - are NOT Zeiss but still great value.  Previously for family I bought both options for stargazing and birding. 

Nytecam

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ive always fancied having a look through 8x40's. Apparently they give a wider FOV than 10x50. Might pop down the local store later and see whats there.

They usually do but it depends on the AFOV of the eyepieces. A 10x50 with 70 degree eyepieces will have a wider field than a 8x40 with 50 degree ones.   :icon_biggrin:

Maginon 20-60 x 60 spotting scopes is what I saw which I make is a monocular with, in this case, an angled zoom EP - they usually come with a tiny table tripod and a long 3yr? warrantee.  There were maybe ~4 of each model @ Aldi Epsom Surrey [West Ewell branch] as quoted I couldn't find them on-line.  Worth a punt !

Nytecam

ps: Got itchy - my daughter wanted the metal mini pan+tilt tripod for her DSLR so I got the spotting scope.  Quick peep down garden was pin sharp x20 so I'm happy too - see below.   3 boxed binos + 1 boxed SS remained - the guy in the next aisle said he'd hopefully be viewing the [Guy Faulkes] moon tonight with his SS !

aldi 1.jpg

aldi 2.jpg

Had a quick peep last night before midnight at M42 and M45 but failed to spot M1 from my heavily LP SW London garden [used EAA  camera assist for decade to go deep!].  The sky was unusually transparent with mag 3 stars visible to the eye.

Used x20 and zoomed up to x60 and the images were still quite good.  Slight focus tweak needed as the zoom EP is not parafocus throughout its range.   The apparent fov is quite small but the whole of the Plieades contained x20. A hand-held afocal shot below through double glazing of a construction crane some 3.5 miles away.

Nytecam

crane1.jpg

Sorry the thread has been a miss for most folk as unavailable currently but more opportunities will arise.

Here's that crane and the moon from last night - latter frame extracted from a video as I couldn't handhold the camera steady :)

Nytecam

crane-moon.jpg

@nytecam

I wonder if your Aldi might have been having some form of advance promotion on the scope? Perhaps other Aldi stores might have it shortly? Specials in Lidl usually start on Monday or Thursday, perhaps someone could check their local Aldi on Thursday? I plan to!

Btw, in those second photos, what magnification were you using?

On 11/4/2016 at 09:11, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ive always fancied having a look through 8x40's. Apparently they give a wider FOV than 10x50. Might pop down the local store later and see whats there.

They can and often are due to the lower power, but its down to the manufacturer as to how wide the field of view is and the design of the eyepieces.

My Strathspey marine 10x50's indicate 6.5° on their site, whilst my Helios nature sport+ 8x40's indicate 8.2° field. A wider field and just as bright for my eyes.
I honestly prefer my 8x40s over all the binoculars in my collection( so far - will be testing some  Apollo 15x70's, but they will still have less fov!

I'll be looking in my local stores  Lidl and Aldi to see if the Maginon is still available.
Although the mrs takes a peek now and again though my binoculars, she would make better use of a spotting scope, although this  could be an  unwanted Christmas present for her, and a scope for me?

I wonder if your Aldi might have been having some form of advance promotion on the scope? Perhaps other Aldi stores might have it shortly? Specials in Lidl usually start on Monday or Thursday, perhaps someone could check their local Aldi on Thursday? I plan to!    Btw, in those second photos, what magnification were you using?

I now suspect it's just a one-off for my Aldi from old stock - remember the spotting scope I got was discounted !

Mag ~x25/30 for 2nd afocal cam photos :)

Nytecam

• 6 months later...

Archived