stargazine_ep38_banner.thumb.jpg.6fe20536a22b28c17b2ee1818650993c.jpg

NGC 7023 - Iris Nebula from Les Granges

Whilst California was being collected - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/280659-355-hrs-in-california/ - we pointed Olly's TEC 140 in the vague direction of the Iris Nebula.  Over the course of 3 nights, we got hold of 4.5 hours each of RGB for a total of 13.5 hours, plus 5 hours and 15 minutes of Lum.  We extracted a synthetic luminance from the RGB and added this to the 'real' Lum (estimating that it gave us an equivalent of about 3 hours Lum).  I was at the keyboard but Olly was hovering over my right shoulder prodding me in the right direction.  We managed to get the praying ghosts in frame, which was a bonus.

LRGB FLIPPED P4x1800v2.jpg

Edited by gnomus
  • Like 27
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst California was being collected - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/280659-355-hrs-in-california/ - we pointed Olly's TEC 140 in the vague direction of the Iris Nebula.  Over the course of 3 ni

Slight cock up on the processing front.  At some stage we ended up getting the image into a bizarre colour space.  It looked OK on Olly's monitor but it did not look OK when I posted it up last night.

Now back in the UK.  We got 78 hours of data for our week at Les Granges.  One goes for the skies and the resulting data collection, of course, but watching Olly processing and learning some of his te

Posted Images

Great image, I did the same targets, different framing from Ollys a few years ago, such lovely dark and clear skies there.  

Lovely star colour too.

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Lovely image indeed,so much dust and detail showing up.

I tried this the other night,and did,nt get anywhere the dust showing here.

Lot less hours though, as usual the following nights were cloudy, so could,nt get aymore subs.

I try to complete in one night if i can.

Mick. 

Edited by astro mick

Slight cock up on the processing front.  At some stage we ended up getting the image into a bizarre colour space.  It looked OK on Olly's monitor but it did not look OK when I posted it up last night.  We are not entirely sure what we did wrong, but I was at the controls so I must take full responsibility.  Here is the corrected version:

LRGB FLIPPED P4 sRGB REPAIRx1920.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks again everyone.

4 minutes ago, toxic said:

i cant see any real difference  between the 2

but an awesome image in any case 

The background in image 1 is a bit too dark, red and fierce.  Strange things these colour spaces.  

19 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Thanks again everyone.

The background ...............Strange things these colour spaces.  

Colours are are jelly jelly like , Yves Klein monochromes mix is fully different than Picasso Blue period.

Its a very nice image you have there, i can see the Swaying ghosts :)

CS

I just love the line, while the taks were on the Californian nebula we out the Tec on the Iris. 

lovely pic, and all those hours really show in the nice smooth Brown dusty data. Great work. 

Tom. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, swag72 said:

Very nice indeed - You have become a Master of processing :) Well done :)

Well let's wait and see what happens once Olly takes the stabilizers off...

Now back in the UK.  We got 78 hours of data for our week at Les Granges.  One goes for the skies and the resulting data collection, of course, but watching Olly processing and learning some of his techniques is as much, and possibly more, important.  That colour space foul up on the Iris kept bothering me as the 'fix' didn't look as good as it had done originally.  So I went back to the original stacks and started again.  I spent a bit more time than we had originally on the problematic stars.  I think I got a better background than is on the previous posted versions, and, as a result, I think I can see a little more of the faint stuff.  But I would appreciate any comments or contrary views.  

LRGB_P6_FIN_1800px.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent Steve, subtle improvements have really helped an incremental quality gain.

Maybe darken the background a tad?  Fine curve adjustment for contrast?  All quite subjective of course.

Maybe your best image to date?  I'm running out of superlatives for your recent images and leap up in both data acquisition and processing ability.  Well done.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Excellent Steve, subtle improvements have really helped an incremental quality gain.

Maybe darken the background a tad?  Fine curve adjustment for contrast?  All quite subjective of course.

Maybe your best image to date?  I'm running out of superlatives for your recent images and leap up in both data acquisition and processing ability.  Well done.

Jings - thanks Barry.  After that, how could I not take your advice?  I also boosted the core saturation just a 'thochty' whilst at it.  

LRGB_P8_FIN_BARRY.jpg

Edited by gnomus