SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC253 - The Sculptor Galaxy

hjw

Hi all,

It seems our wet winter is over and I had the second decent night in a week. The target was the Sculptor Galaxy - a galaxy in the constellation of Sculptor which is approx. 11.4 million light years away. The image was taken by 60x180sec ISO800 and without the UHC filter.

sculptor 100pct crop.jpg

It's the second time I had a go at this object and I am quite happy with the result.

Clear skies

HJ

11 hours ago, Rodd said:

What scope did you use?   Looks like a long FL--nice color.

Hi Rodd, NGC253 is a fairly large and bright object (27.5' x 6.8', magnitude 7.1 and surface brightness 14). So, it is a good object for the SW 80ED with guiding.

Cheers

HJ

Sculptor 100pct crop.jpg

8 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Super. I might just ease the green down a tad, maybe?

Olly

Thanks Olly - to get a "super" from you is flattering :)! I turned the green down a bit. I think I have to get my screen calibrated. When I got to work the image looked quite different. I also rotated the image 180°. It sounds silly, but now the major dust lane is at the bottom and it looks like you are looking down onto the galaxy. I know orientation is totally irrelevant but I like it better...

Clear skies!

HJ

I like that. I'm coming to Oz for nearly three months in January (my daughter lives in Melbourne), but won't/cant bring my stuff with me, which is a shame as it would be nice to image some of your southern skies.

The only suggestion I would make is that, for my taste, the space is a bit blue. You could try toning down the space whilst leaving the galaxy as is, but it is a lovely image whatever...

Tim. 

7 hours ago, hjw said:

I turned the green down a bit. I think I have to get my screen calibrated. When I got to work the image looked quite different. I also rotated the image 180°. It sounds silly, but now the major dust lane is at the bottom and it looks like you are looking down onto the galaxy. I know orientation is totally irrelevant but I like it better...

Nice detail in the dust lanes. Good to see these gems of the southern skies, only M31, M33 and M101 have a larger apparent size I think (ignoring satellite dwarf galaxies pf the Milky Way). I think the second version is better but I'm seeing a little blue-green in the background - it could perhaps be a bit darker?

I know what you mean about the orientation, I always prefer to see spirals the 'right' way up. I blame my gravity-addled brain.

Archived