Narrowband

Upgrading from 130P on EQ2

Hi all,

I've had a fun year observing with my Skywatcher 130P on the EQ2 (+optional RA motor drive) but I am starting to feel it's limitations.  Can I trouble you all and see what you think of my problems and possible solutions...?

Issues: 

1. It's a bit coarse using the manual 'slow motion' turn/handle controls. 

2. The RA motor drive seems OK for observing but it's not up to the job for imaging.

3. polar alignment is a bit hit and miss (no polar scope)

4.  It's really hard to attach my camera (I can just about get infinity focus with my mirrorless 'mini dslr' Sony A6000 camera) (i have a direct adapter and also an 'eyepiece projection' kit)

5.  Finding DSOs to attempt a photo is seemingly impossible with the camera occupying the eyepiece holder. 

With the above points combined, it's next to impossible to take any decent photos. (Although I managed a few that I quite like)

My two goals are observing and occasional more detailed forays into astrophotographs.  Now, I live quite near Milton Keynes so I realise I'm never going to get hubble-quality images due to light pollution.  But i'm still thinking seriously about an upgrade.

I have up to £700 to spend.  I don't imagine I'll get much for my 130P/EQ2 second hand (but every little helps, eh?)

I have two ideas:

Skywatcher 130P-DS on EQ3 Pro (go to) currently £587 at FLO

Skywatcher 150P-DS on EQ5 Pro (go to) currently £799 at FLO

Or maybe a 130P-DS on EQ5 Pro (go to) to save a few quid.

I could persuade myself to find the extra cash for the bigger upgrade but that's a big spend for me....

I like the sound of the -DS models (shorter tube to allow DLSR attachment).  I like the sound of Go To as I'll actually be able to get the camera pointed at the right piece of sky.

Questions/grey areas:

1. Weight/size.  I imagine the 130P-DS on EQ3 Pro is only slightly heavier than my current set up.  My current scope+mound sits in the garage and I can lift it on my own into the garden quite easily.  Would the 150P/EQ5 be significantly more difficult to move (through three doors on mostly level floor).  If I need to keep dismantling the whole thing, it will just gather dust.  I can't find weight/size dimensions anywhere

2. For observing, will going from 130 to 150 make that much difference?

3. These -DS models mention a 2" eyepiece holder.  I only have 1.25" eyepieces.  Do I need a new set of eyepieces? Or an adapter?  What's the benefit of 2" eyepieces anyway?

4. Do these mounts include polar scopes for alignment?  Are they 'good enough' or will I instantly need to spend more money?

5.  For observing, how nice are the two mounts to operate? (I find the EQ2 a bit flimsy and wobbly)

6. As a novice, am I missing something glaringly obvious here? (I'll probably splash out on a coma corrector in the new year)

That's a lot to read and many many questions but any advice from anyone who knows these pieces of kit would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Remove the telescope. Take your dslr and a camera lens and attach that only to your EQ2 mount it will be less wobbly as less weight and it will be lighter for the motor drive to handle hopefully nice and smoothly. If you have an android tablet use dslr controller and connect camera to your tablet and you get a nice big screen to use to see what getting and focus with (just re read you have a Sony). Take wide field images and learn how to process and stack and explore your interest while deciding what to buy next.

Now that's a good idea!   I have lenses with wide aperture right up to 200mm (and 400 at f5.6) and I can control my camera with live view from my iPad.   It's meant to be clear here on Saturday and andromeda will be right overhead....

It does sound as if you've reached the limit with your current set up, so it's time to sit down and seriously think how to win the National Lottery :icon_biggrin:.

Perhaps the single most important element of astrophotography is the mount. I would go with the EQ5 as a minimum - it would certainly open up many new possibilities, but how long would it be before you begin to think of another upgrade? If you're in for the long haul, it might make more sense to hold out for the more expensive HEQ5, or even if you're lucky pick one up second-hand.

Visually 150mm is an improvement over 130mm - but you would probably want to jump to 200mm to notice a big difference. I'd probably stick with the 130P-DS. There's a long and fascinating thread on Imaging with the 130pds in the Getting Started with Imaging Forum. Better telescopes may come later, but the primary concern is the mount.

2" focuser telescopes come with a 1.25" adapter, so no problems there. For visual observing, 2" low magnification wide view eyepieces can be fantastic - but these can come later or not at all.

According to http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro.asp?p=0_10  both the EQ3 Pro and EQ5 Pro as well as the HEQ5 Pro include polar scopes.

Hi Mikey,

Modern cameras mean you DON'T have to save up for an EQ5.

Check out these three threads, an 130P-DS on an EQ3 GOTO will reward you without breaking the bank and get you started sooner while you are still keen!

Alt-Az imaging - using mounts that won't even track as long as an EQ3:

Proposals for anew topic to encourage people like you and dispel the 'massive mount myth'

7 hours ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Perhaps the single most important element of astrophotography is the mount. I would go with the EQ5 as a minimum - it would certainly open up many new possibilities, but how long would it be before you begin to think of another upgrade? If you're in for the long haul, it might make more sense to hold out for the more expensive HEQ5, or even if you're lucky pick one up second-hand.

Sorry Patrick,

While I would love an HEQ5, EQ6 or even an EQ8, I have an EQ3.

Despite the 'massive mount myth' it's easily capable of two-minute subs with perfectly round stars, unguided, and that's pretty much as long as you need with suburban UK skies.

An EQ3-GOTO, perhaps upgraded just by adding a steel tubular leg tripod, means many more people can get into astrophotography NOW while we have long, dark nights rather than losing interest.

Neil

Pacman Crop.png

9 hours ago, mikey2000 said:

Now that's a good idea!   I have lenses with wide aperture right up to 200mm (and 400 at f5.6) and I can control my camera with live view from my iPad.   It's meant to be clear here on Saturday and andromeda will be right overhead....

135mm lens is nice on m31 and hopefully not too demanding for your eq2. Have fun :-) ooo use your iPad to take flats you might find an ap called lightbox (it's on android) and is great for this.

A very splendid Pacman nebula from Sub Mandrel! It makes your point beautifully.

One of the main differences between the EQ5 and the EQ3 is the steel versus aluminium legs which certainly increase stability and payload. A year or so ago I remember someone was selling these legs quite cheaply, and I think several people made the same upgrade as Neil suggests but I don't know if they're available now.

To me the problem seems to be combining visual and a-p with the same scope (which ultimately may not be the best option). If the OP is thinking of larger aperture in the future, now might be the time to invest in a better mount especially if he could find something second-hand at a good price.

Thanks for all the ideas!  I'm still half-torn between the EQ3 Pro/130P-DS and EQ5 Pro with 150P-DS

I think I could possibly afford the EQ5 but the HEQ5 is *definitely* beyond my budget.  I've been down a similar path with DSLRs and camera lenses - I always yearn for the next upgrade and eventually find a way to afford it.  I can't resisit upgrading in steps rather than saving up hard in the first place - I get instant enjoyment :-)  And then I rather enjoy the research and build-up the next upgrade. (probably more expensive in the long run, I know....)

It might boil down to this:  Can I lift the EQ5 Pro with 150P-DS on my own, without having to keep dismantling it?  (up a stepped door, across a room, through a porch door, step down then another step down into the garden).

Useability might be the key.   I supposes it's no great effort to undo the tube ring holder thingies...

6 minutes ago, mikey2000 said:

It might boil down to this:  Can I lift the EQ5 Pro with 150P-DS on my own, without having to keep dismantling it?  (up a stepped door, across a room, through a porch door, step down then another step down into the garden).

I'm not a small chap or particularly puny, but I don't like moving my 150PL on the EQ3 (with two counterweights and steel tripod). Even just with the two counterweights it's a handful and there's a constant risk of catching something - not good with a weight load, something has to give!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I visited Tring Astro to have a look at some of the different options first hand.

I decided quite quickly that the EQ5 (although nice) is just too much for me to move about.   The EQ3 Pro (Syncscan) is far more managable and still seems very nicely made. (I can always get some steel legs later on if I go on a weightlifting course....:icon_biggrin:)

I've also bought a 150PDS to go with it and a Panaview 2" 32mm eyepiece.   Roll on christmas day!

If the HEQ5 is definitely out of your budget then I'd say the EQ5 is your next best bet. It's a decent mount, though quality control on the less expensive Skywatcher mounts varies (mine had severe PE such that even 20 second exposures at 300mm showed significant problems; stripping, regreasing and adjusting the worm gear did not help). It will be more solid than the EQ3 though, and there are plenty of posts where people have taken great images with them. I would not worry about weight - the EQ5 is not a heavy mount if you are not carrying it any great distance or taking it up and down stairs - however, I would not recommend trying to lift the whole assemblage at once - mount first, then counterweights, then scope.

If it were me, I would go for the 130 P-DS with that mount - I suspect it will be pushing the mount hard enough, and you'll get more usable shots than with the 150. Even better (and having already gone through the process of buying an EQ5 and then upgrading) I'd be inclined to save, get the HEQ5 and use a DSLR and telephoto lens until I had more budget. Bear in mind you also have your existing 130P and that's worth experimenting with.

But I could totally understand why someone might not follow that advice - I didn't.

Thanks for the tip Billy - I have already made the payment for the lesser mount....

I did try maneuvering a EQ5 with no scope on. It's just a little too much for me.  As regards experimenting with my 130P, that's what has brought me to this point - it's rather hard to attach a camera to! (Hence my purchase of a 150PDS - only slightly larger than my 130P...)

Archived