SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mono DSLR optical window

Adam J

I have succeeded in mono modifying my Canon 1000D and now a Canon 450D. In doing this I have chosen to remove both of the internal filters (color and IR) making the camera full spectrum. 

My current DSLR cool box design uses a CLS Clip filter to prevent dust entering the camera and also helps to seal the camera from the outside air along side a very tightly fitted Badder MPCC MKIII, see pictures. The sensor temperatures can hit -10c in the winter so its important to keep the air within the cool box dry.

DSC04735.JPGDSC04772.JPG

At any rate i digress, my question is, as I have now removed all the camer filters (+ making the sensor all golden and shiny) how do I best prevent reflections. I did wonder if the coatings on the MPCC MKIII would be good enough alone; however, the cooler design really calls for me to make use of a Astronomic Clear Glass Clip Filter or a UV/IR Clip filter. But which one? I also know that I could get a sensor window from Astronomic that sits in place of the anti-dust (IR) filter. However, if I am going to end up using a clear glass clip filter anyway....do I really need another glass element over the sensor.

I should probably say that I will be using my 2 inch narrow band filter in this setup, I chose them so that I could use them with a CCD + filter wheel at a later date if I chose to go down that path. So just using the clip narrow band filters is not an option.

I guess it comes down to this, are reflections going to be worse if I increase the distance to the first anti-reflection coated optical element buy using the Clear Glass Clip instead of putting the Clear glass directly over the sensor?

Thanks.

Adam

Archived