Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Got caught out again..

ChrisLX200

40 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Every year it gets me - Daylight Savings Time!!  :(    The mount points in the wrong place and the penny doesn't drop for at least the first two subs.

ChrisH

Haven't had any clear skies yet (supposed to be clear now but it's not) was hoping the 10Micron might do it automatically :grin:

Dave

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Haven't had any clear skies yet (supposed to be clear now but it's not) was hoping the 10Micron might do it automatically :grin:

Dave

It doesn't ! I reckon it should but it doesn't.

So I start collecting data for a new model, get to about 90 points and bang - blue screen. 'Bad Pool Caller' (whatever that means). This computer has never blue screened since I built it 2 years ago :(  I get the feeling tonight will be a write-off, but I've re-started another mount model run anyway.

ChrisH

1 hour ago, ChrisLX200 said:

It doesn't ! I reckon it should but it doesn't.

So I start collecting data for a new model, get to about 90 points and bang - blue screen. 'Bad Pool Caller' (whatever that means). This computer has never blue screened since I built it 2 years ago :(  I get the feeling tonight will be a write-off, but I've re-started another mount model run anyway.

ChrisH

Sorry to hear about your problems. I run all my astronomy software and PC's set to ignore the beginning and end of summer time and keep them at UT using an NTP server on the main observatory PC which is disciplined by a radio clock. Since doing this I have had no problems.

Regards Andrew

54 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Sorry to hear about your problems. I run all my astronomy software and PC's set to ignore the beginning and end of summer time and keep them at UT using an NTP server on the main observatory PC which is disciplined by a radio clock. Since doing this I have had no problems.

Regards Andrew

I suppose I should do the same Andrew and that would permanently resolve the issue, but instead I've just used the BST option in the mount controller. Naturally every year I (stupidly) forget to change it back. The Obs computer uses Meinberg NTP which keeps it within a couple of ms (the PC runs 24/7 so it never drifts much, Meinberg only nudges the PC clock a little fast or slow to correct for drift so it takes time). The ASCOM driver updates the mount time as a rolling average whilst it's powered up (updates only when it's not tracking, during a slew the time is updated together with barrometric pressure from which refraction offsets are calculated). Tonight was a dead loss, although I do have a new mount model installed which is something. It was one of those nights where nothing went right - clouds rolling in just before the end of a 30min sub forcing me to abort it.  

ChrisH

10 hours ago, andrew s said:

Regards Andrew

My obs'y setup runs year round on UT so don't see why the 10Micron can't ? must RTFM :grin:

Dave

13 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Tonight was a dead loss, although I do have a new mount model installed which is something. It was one of those nights where nothing went right - clouds rolling in just before the end of a 30min sub forcing me to abort it.  

Yes very frustrating; we had been to Manchester for a Sixties concert and came home through a clear sky that just clouded over as we parked up. So I am still waiting for first light with my new scope.

13 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

The Obs computer uses Meinberg NTP

That's what I use. The Meinberg NTP software is an excellent package. I have one of their clocks and use the NPL internet time servers as a backup for when the transmitter is undergoing maintenance. Having a radio clock is historical from when the obs was not network connected and is possibly overkill now. By the way have you ever noticed a change in pointing when a leap second has been implemented? I can't say I have but then I have never actively looked for one and the script I use for jogging the mount to place the star onto the off-set slit would mask it.

Hope the next session is a success for both of us and, of course, everyone else.

Regards Andrew 

PS My head is still spinning and we had the added pleasure of my daughters 4 mth old baby to add to the fun of the hour change.

There are many who find the setting of the clock a bit meaningless. And many prefer summertime, even though that is not the original time. But it would be very convenient just to have summertime all year around.

55 minutes ago, Gina said:

I would prefer GMT all the year round.

But if you in Europe need to call someone in the US, you can today calculate when it is after 9 am at their place and call accordingly. When everybody has GMT, you need to remember at which GMT time they are supposed to start their working day.  I would find that more complicated.

Archived