Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Started My Obsy build at last :)

Stu1976j

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/11/2016 at 08:03, The Head Gardener said:

Err, yes, but . . .

We have a large garden with (theoretically) plenty room for an obsy shed but in order to avoid going for planning permission (unsympathetic local council) we need to keep the obsy back from the existing building line.  Which means that a shed which is already sited where the obsy will go has to be moved (no, it cannot be converted). 

But for the small shed to move I have to relocate my cold frames. 

But for the cold frames to relocate I have to move/use a log pile that's 12' long and 7' high . . .

Nothing here is ever simple :(

:)

Similar position, clear 20' x 20' (was chicken riun), relocate raised beds, strip out patio slabs, move greenhouse, cut down a fruiting cherry tree (which is never going to happen - sacrilege), and move the 'orchard' (they're all in airpots so the easiest thing to do... see, lining .. cloud :) x 20'

On 01/11/2016 at 21:14, Stu1976j said:

Well just thought I would share a few pics of today's progress on my observatory build, which has been about three years in the making and at last I can start :)

Its been a dream of mine for many years and for the first time am in a position to start the build. its not going to be the latest and most advanced, but to me just to have somewhere to house my setup and build on that is brilliant. just to have the scope ready to start up and do my astrophotography.

Its going to be 10ft x 6ft with a small compact warm room at the north end right of pictures. 

And for now will have a Meade ETX 105 with Canon EOS500D and Meade dsi for auto guiding of an off axis setup.

would rather have a obsy than a scope upgrade right now.

hoping to get it up and running within the next two months tops. all going to plan. its going to have a roll of roof motorised. plenty more to post in time.

01-11-2016-001.JPG

IMG_9837.JPG

IMG_9842.JPG

IMG_9846.JPG

IMG_9848.JPG

IMG_9849.JPG

IMG_9851.JPG

IMG_9853.JPG

IMG_9854.JPG

IMG_9855.JPG

Can you include parts lists, costs, source inc. tools reqd?.

I just hate people who can do this sort of thing - so, time to learn a new trade.... or deal with my inadequacies. LOL

On 08/11/2016 at 00:00, michael8554 said:

Great progress Stu.

Michael

Thank you, I am getting done what I can with what budget I have :) But could not get much done yesterday as it was my son's 16th birthday and when I was about to start to do a little bit the clouds decided to dump a huge amount of rain :( so was a total no go day. did get a chance to start setting my gear up in the house and and do some experiments with different software and different ways of setting up scope and cameras ect ect :)

22 hours ago, The Head Gardener said:

Ditto Michael, great progress!   I don't see any evidence of a pulling cord in your drainpipe cable conduit :smiley:   ?

Thank you, And no that is today's job I should all going well have a cord all in place by end of play today. weather is good at the moment so fingers crossed :) I will have a few more progress pics to post later.

12 hours ago, iapa said:

Can you include parts lists, costs, source inc. tools reqd?.

I just hate people who can do this sort of thing - so, time to learn a new trade.... or deal with my inadequacies. LOL

I will have a go at adding some details for you this evening when I add some updated pics :) I am no expert in this area myself but have always had to try myself as can't stand giving money away to others lol. And it there is a wealth of information here and many people willing to help with advice 

4 hours ago, Stu1976j said:

I will have a go at adding some details for you this evening when I add some updated pics :) I am no expert in this area myself but have always had to try myself as can't stand giving money away to others lol. And it there is a wealth of information here and many people willing to help with advice 

Thanks.

Good work by the way - meant to say earlier.

I'll have missed something, so: what are you planning to do to prevent the shed moving on the breeze blocks? I'm no lightweight and would be concerned it would shift and eventually bump against the pier.

3 hours ago, iapa said:

Thanks.

Good work by the way - meant to say earlier.

I'll have missed something, so: what are you planning to do to prevent the shed moving on the breeze blocks? I'm no lightweight and would be concerned it would shift and eventually bump against the pier.

Hi yes the base frame is attached to four 4" steel pipes that are ran a few feet into the ground as anchors. but the garden is pretty well protected against the wind anyway. the obsy will be gong now where :) I will have a hunt for the pics and add at a later date..

its ready treated. but there will be a breathable skin between this and the exterior shell I will be putting on. its like interior wall / insulation / plyboard / breathable layer / then final exterior finish coated in an appropriate wood treatment. 

Well day 14 and managed to get a little more done after work lucky I am a posty so done by 13:00 hours today and got most of what I wanted to do before the downpour of rain. have some more of the warm room complete. half insulated and boarded up. mains wiring in and damp proofing done and some felt on the warm room roof yippy getting there slowly. have a day off tomorrow so weather permitting will make a little more progress roll off roof tomorrow :)

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

Had a break from the rain today :) so managed to crack on and get a the slide of roof under way. but waiting on the wheels so still a bit to do at least the shell is there and some felt on top to keep the worst of any more rain out. have the warm room floor finished just two wall left to board up and insulate. need to go and find some lino off cuts soon. 

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

looking forward to seeing the Roll On Roll Off Roof in action.

You mentioned steel into the ground to attach the frame to - how did you determine that there was no gas, electric or water running underneath where you were going to put everything?

Also, how big is that back garden?

1 hour ago, iapa said:

looking forward to seeing the Roll On Roll Off Roof in action.

You mentioned steel into the ground to attach the frame to - how did you determine that there was no gas, electric or water running underneath where you were going to put everything?

Also, how big is that back garden?

hi there, Well to be honest I just went down with a spade and took my time. came across many root systems that I had to clear or relocate my pole position but. I knew the gas mains runs along close to the rear of house and into neighbours garden and runs up there garden, only due to a gas line being broke further down the road a couple years ago. Yes i am lucky to have own  a large back garden it's about 70 meters long and 45 meters wide at its widest point. not including the side garden and front. takes a lot of time up trying to keep on top of it. at least with the obsy up there its a few feet less grass to cut lol.

HI there well I managed to get a few hours work done on the obsy yesterday but only a few as the rain returned with rage once again. but have the roll of roof built and rolling. still have a lot of fine work to do yet. hoping the weather stays nice today. then I can finish boarding up and squaring the roof supports up and start fitting the pulling cables and mechanism in. just pleased that the roof is on fitted and working in its raw state :)

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

That's one whole side almost complete now, managed another few hours today and got the door on not finished but at least now the rain can't get in there :) . My two month build time is going well out the window though. 

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

On 15/11/2016 at 20:21, Stu1976j said:

hi there, Well to be honest I just went down with a spade and took my time. came across many root systems that I had to clear or relocate my pole position but. I knew the gas mains runs along close to the rear of house and into neighbours garden and runs up there garden, only due to a gas line being broke further down the road a couple years ago. Yes i am lucky to have own  a large back garden it's about 70 meters long and 45 meters wide at its widest point. not including the side garden and front. takes a lot of time up trying to keep on top of it. at least with the obsy up there its a few feet less grass to cut lol.

damn, my entire property is the same number - but in feet!!!

Well managed to get a few hours work done on the obsy today after work, Exterior is 75% of the way finished and the warm room is getting a lot closer insulation done work top in. and a little paint to help seal up the wood. electrics all in place, just can't believe its been almost a month building now wow. where does the time go. and at least double what I thought it would cost so far. but have gone a lot more heavy duty than first planed want it to stand for some years to come with the ability to upgrade here and there if I want. 

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

Had managed to complete the warm room yesterday as in insulating and putting a coat of paint over the walls, a couple of the pictures are not in focus due to the weather becoming very cold and foggy but will put some better ones here at a later date. just the electrics to finish off and some storage and the floor most likely lino. 

Today I have been making up the final stage of the pier many hours of measuring and cutting and drilling but was worth it. there is no way I could afford a off the shelf pier so decided to do a home made one for the time being, and am over the moon with it. Did a test run with some of the equipment set up on it without being supported in any way ( free standing ) and balanced and was as solid as a rock :) A very productive couple of days.

Back to work tomorrow so that's it until at least sunday now.

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

A bit more progress made Tuesday viewing window installed, worst of the painting done and red lights roughly in place. then all progress stopped due to realising I have a sickness bug that's doing its rounds :icon_puke_r: 

So just thought I would post a few  picks for now to keep progress report up to date.

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG