Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6992 - Eastern Veil Nebula

steppenwolf

I've wanted a crack at this one for some time but conditions haven't allowed - tonight, however, there was a window of opportunity and I could see the band of the Milky Way stretching off into the distance which was a good sign! The window was closed by cloud after a while but not before I had got 14 subs. of 400 seconds each. I hope you like it. SXVF-M25C and Skywatcher 80ED Refractor.

ngc6992_290708_l.jpg

Is the Veil predominantly Ha or OIII in its emission line?

Steve, to the best of my knowledge this object is rich is OIII

is that a crop or the whole F.O.V. with the SXVF-M25C/ED80 combo?

This is a crop of the original FOV and the resultant image is displayed at 43% of the original size

The veil complex has been considered by most be rich in OIII. The recent article by Greg Parker in either Astronomy Now or Sky at Night, (can't remeber which right now) regarding shooting a mosaic of the whole complex confirms this.

Steve..

It is a very lovely Image of a delicate looking structure. Although the principal is the veil, I hope the rest of the occupants of this Image are noted too. Just look at the number of stars there are.

Super result Steve.

Ron.

So as a novice with a 130mm reflector, I cannot see anything on this object. I presume I need to get a OIII filter, but I cannot find any cheap used ones.

I presume you also cannot "see" anything either but just line up the scope to the right RA and DEC with the drive running, take some images and then check on the laptop???

:?

I presume I need to get a OIII filter,

An OIII filter will certainly work for visual work on this object.

presume you also cannot "see" anything either but just line up the scope to the right RA and DEC with the drive running, take some images and then check on the laptop???

That is essentially true, I slew to where the object should be and then take a test image with the camera at its most sensitive setting (high ISO number for a DSLR or 'binned' with a CCD) and 'stretch' the image outrageously to check that it is indeed there.

Archived