SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A story of apathy (Hi from Market Deeping, Lincs)

Chris__M

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/11/2016 at 08:48, Chris__M said:

I live in a small town north of Peteborough (UK); looking at the map linked by Dave, you can see the shape of my town extending northwards, simply from the orange glow of the map.

Sometimes, I am driving locally through country roads, and am struck by how the skies - while not perfect - are so much better than in town. I regularly drive past a couple of unlit lay-bys and wonder what it would be like to set up there.

Does anyone here do that at all? Just drive to a (local) dark spot off a country road, and set up for an hour or so? How do you feel about security - i.e. someone passing by and bopping you on the head for your kit? :D

Chris - 

I'm thinking about this too.  I reckon the best thing is to go with someone, for both company and security.

I note with interest your observations re the Skyliner, as I have been considering one myself, but wonder if any small improvements in viewing (under these skies) would merit lugging the thing round, or whether it would just rarely even see the sky!

Doug.

5 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

I note with interest your observations re the Skyliner, as I have been considering one myself, but wonder if any small improvements in viewing (under these skies) would merit lugging the thing round, or whether it would just rarely even see the sky!

I think it depends on your degree of motivation. As I described, in the end, for me, the Skyliner was just taking up room in the conservatory and disuading me from using any of my "lesser" scopes. Again, let me make clear that was a failing in me, and not the telescope! I actually really like the Skyliner.

On the other hand, the friends who took it off me seem enthused.

The striking thing is - I have done more with astronomy in the last few weeks since getting rid of the Skyliner (mainly on my Starblast) than I have in the last two years. Whether or not it will be just a fad, I will have to wait and see. I must admit I looked at the temperature outside tonight, and decided I had other things to do!

"there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes"

you do need some good motivation though to spend a couple (or more) hours in near freezing (or below) temperatures.

I know the number of clear nights in this country are limited, but I've found that if I force myself to go out, just because it is clear, then I don't really enjoy myself and seem to seek excuses for finishing early. Now, I try not to feel guilty that I've missed an opportunity and instead enjoy the activity I've chosen instead.

I want to enjoy this hobby/lifestyle for many years, but hate being dictated to about when I can do it.

enjoy it when you're out, and don't worry about it when you're not ?

Archived