SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A story of apathy (Hi from Market Deeping, Lincs)

Chris__M

Hi, I have been registered as a member since 2012, and yet I only made my first post today! Thought I'd also post here and introduce myself.

A very casual astronomer, I used to like to sit outside with a telescope, usually on a table mount, and just browse the sky while drinking beer and tending the BBQ. A little bit of photography, for the challenge and thrill of doing it, and that was it.

Note that I said "used to". I've not touched a telescope for a couple of years. Part of this is because of other interests taking my time, but mostly because I kind of mentally boxed myself into a corner.

I had a couple of small telescopes - a 4.5" Starblast, and a 70mm refractor. Both were fun to use. Then a few years ago, I got a bargain on a second-hand Skyliner 200. I loved it.

But after a while, I found that I was outside at night less and less, and eventually stopped completely. The issue is that I found the Skyliner cumbersome to carry outside from where it was stored in the garage, just on my own. Not a terrible task, but just a bit of a faff, which meant that I no longer went outside to look for half an hour, if I wasn't going to be spending all evening looking, "it wasn't worth it"; and, of course, I never found time to spend all evening looking.

Meanwhile, I still had my smaller telescopes, but I no longer used those, for the stupid reason that I felt that I really should be using the big expensive one.

Anyway, a couple of months back, I decided that the Skyliner was just in the way for no reason. So I gave it away to a friend with two kids of the right age to be enthusiastic about it. They were very appreciative, and it was a delight to take it down to them and show them how it worked.

Now I just have the two small scopes, and guess what - I am using them again. The StarBlast takes 30 seconds to take out and plonk down on my garden table, and as much time to put away again. Plus, my time spent helping my friend and his kids set up the Skyliner reminded me of the fun that can be had.

I'm not going to say that I've never going to buy any new kit. I have my eye on a cheap GOTO mount for the StarBlast. But I'm going to try and keep it simple, and not let the kit get in the way of the hobby.

Pass me that beer.

Chris

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have been trough it all. Nice that you have figured out for yourself what works and doesn't work for you. You are apperently a grab-and-go-scope person.

If you ever want to upgrade, you could look at for example a medium size Maksutov or good quality refractor. They are both easy to carry outside, including their mount and don't need collimation.

My most used is a 70mm. So appreciate the situation.

Be a little wary of a goto, I have 2. Many think they are the old description of "plug and play", they do not. The Mak one I rarely use, just troublesome to set up, everything needs to be very accurate and the time taken means I lose the will to go through it all. Usually all I want to do is just look at the sky. The short refractor goto is simple as the field of view is wide - it is close to being best described as a finder scope with a goto bolted under it.

One of the easiest at present is the Meade ETX-80, again wide and easy.

Hi

If you are thinking goto then I'd look out for the mounts with freedom find by skywatcher these mounts give the best of goto but with the ease to be power free and move the telescope with your hands manually so you can keep a straight forward plonk and go use for when you don't want to set the goto up.

Cheers to everyone.

Another contributing factor, which I am sure many will be familiar with, is local light pollution.

For me it has got progressively worse, with the proliferation of both garden mood lighting and floodlights in my neighbour's gardens. (And yes, I have tried talking to them, but they see their "security" as the biggest priority). With the arrival of a new next-door neighbour last year, the area where I used to use my Skyliner is now flooded for most of the evening, and sometimes all night, when it fails to turn itself off.

Because of tree cover, the table by my BBQ is still fairly sheltered, and has a view of about a third of the sky. Which is where my small scopes win  - I wouldn't have had room for the Skyliner and space to walk around it, without moving major garden furniture.

My other big opportunity for astronomy is when I go on holiday, which is usually a holiday cottage in the country, with dark skies. Last year, it was a toss-up between taking the Skyliner and my portable grill. When I get my StarBlast up to scratch again, it will not be a contest. :D

A belated Welcome to our Corridors of Astronomical knowledge,  and other miscellaneous  interests.                             No two people are exactly matched when it comes down to it,  this way of life,       (and I repeat what I usually say about this,  as I don't look on it as a Hobby),  has many degrees of interest as far as  individuals go.     I believe you are fortunate in one respect,  and that is,  you won't ever get the Aperture Fever malaise, as you seem to have a natural aversion  to it.  That in itself is a Plus,  because you are unlikely to spend too much money on new or used scopes.       Nothing at all wrong,  or dare I say,  demeaning about using smaller aperture Instruments,  they can be a delight to use,  and capable of delivering splendid sights of many  night sky objects.   Just continue to  enjoy at your own pace,  and I hope  you will continue as an SGL member,  and perhaps make contributory reports occasionally on your most interesting  observations.          Best Wishes. 

3 hours ago, barkis said:

I believe you are fortunate in one respect,  and that is,  you won't ever get the Aperture Fever malaise, as you seem to have a natural aversion  to it.

Actually, I'm usually a sucker for getting the "next best thing", whatever that ends up being. A recent purchase of an Amazon Echo Dot has ended up with me having them in 3 other rooms, plus bluetooth adapters to link them to stereos, and now an extensive home automation habit. :D

In this particular case, the telescope - while perfectly fine - was just wrong for me, although it didn't become clear to me until I considered giving it away.

The other interesting thing is that I don't find it easy to let go of kit, of any kind, and would have never considered parting with it for just cash, like on eBay. It was the fact it was going to a pair of kids who were excited about it, that let me give myself permission to let go of it, much more so than selling it.

It's totally crazy, but it felt totally fine.

The lesser of my remaining scopes (and the older) is a Bresser 70mm on a cheap variation of an EQ-2 mount. Some folk in the UK might know this as the "£50 LIDL Christmas telescope".

Along the line, way back then, I actually picked up an RA motor drive for it, but didn't do much with it. That may be this winter's project, rather than spending new cash.

"Security Lights." Uh huh..... Ask them if they burn them all day, too? After all, the vast majority of burglaries take place in the daytime - when people are more apt to be away (at work 9 - 5, which are the hours burglars work, too, breaking into houses!).

The International Dark-Sky Association can help with ideas to help alleviate LP - light-pollution:

http://darksky.org/

Turn off that light!

Dave

I live in a small town north of Peteborough (UK); looking at the map linked by Dave, you can see the shape of my town extending northwards, simply from the orange glow of the map.

Sometimes, I am driving locally through country roads, and am struck by how the skies - while not perfect - are so much better than in town. I regularly drive past a couple of unlit lay-bys and wonder what it would be like to set up there.

Does anyone here do that at all? Just drive to a (local) dark spot off a country road, and set up for an hour or so? How do you feel about security - i.e. someone passing by and bopping you on the head for your kit? :D

Hi Chris,

I'm just down the road from you in Spalding.

I like the idea of just parking up somewhere. Guerrilla Astronomy!

There are so many Fen roads in our area that you could not see another car for days, and if you chose a quiet road in the sticks, you'll see some potential thug in plenty of time to take measures to protect your equipment.

Regards,

Steve

Archived