Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount counter weights

Rob Astro

Just got my first EQ mount, been a Dobsonian man up until now. My new HEQ5 Synscan its carrying capacity is rated as 15kg for visual. My question is that 15kg total or 15Kg equipment and 15kg counterweights? The reason is for visual I was thinking of using my existing Skywatcher 200p plus all the accessories and it does not quite balance with the 10kg of counter weights provided. Or is there an extension available for the counter weight bar?

Hi and welcome to the forum !

There is an extension to the counterweight bar available and it's quite widely used:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/counterweight-bar-extension-for-skywatcher-neq6-heq5-pro.html

The carrying capacity limit of 15kg is stated for the scope. The counterweights are in addition.

Thanks John, things were much simpler with a Dob. As I have another counterweight, I will just add that.

The reason I was a bit apprehensive in adding extra weight is I didn't want to strain the motors. Anyway all clear now 15kg of equipment balanced by the equivalent weight.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Archived