SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello All!

Mcrogers1

Hello,

This is my first post and I would like to thank the community for helping me tremendously already.

I just found out that my Mesu 200 is ready and I should have it in Oklahoma soon. Lucas Mesu has been great to interact with and answered numerous questions that I've had throughout the process. SiTech has been great in that area as well.

This sites posts and user experience is what led me to making the decision to get a Mesu 200. I also go over Cloudy Nights forums as well but this site seems to have a broader user base on the mount. Along with the Mesu I have an AT8RC CF and AT115EDT that will be mounted in tandem. Both scopes have FeatherTouch focusers controlled by an Optec FocusLynx dual channel controller. The STF-8300M and SX FW will be swapped back and forth depending on target size. My filters are Baader LRGB/NB  and figured I would upgrade from the CGEM DX before going with some Astrodon 3nm. Just purchased an Optec Flat Panel for automated flats as well.  I didn't know a taco from a telescope a year ago and now realize that there is always something else you would like to buy. The Mesu will be it for a while (maybe a dew control system). It's taken a year of saving then buying to put this together but I'm sure it'll keep me busy for years to come.

I'll probably be picking your brains on setup of the Mesu and be pestering anyone that uses it with ACP as this is the control software that I will use in my backyard observatory. Any advice in that regards I would like to cut and paste to the ACP forums if that is permitted.

Again thank you so much.

Mike

Clears skies and steady tracking.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike and welcome to SGL - The Mesu is a great mount, I'm very pleased with mine :) There's lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks on the forum, so I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time :)

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum... You're in for a treat with the Mesu: it works like a dream. I've not had a single sub that showed any tracking problems. Mine is one of the older ServoCat / ArgoNavis units. I've had a TOA150 + C11 mounted in both tandem and piggyback configurations, and the mount coped without problems (I get much shorter damping times in piggyback mode). Currently I'm running the TOA150 with an Altair Wave 80 piggybacked. 

The Mesu will be it for a while.

Of course it will... :laugh2:

(maybe a dew control system)

And there it is!

Hope all goes well with the Mesu. Show us some pictures of your setup under Oklahoma skies when it's ready.

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Well after 21 days the mount is finally here. The mount arrived in good condition along with the nice counterweights Lucas Mesu made. He built a solid crate to ship in and this has a section of wood that screws in over the mount. Attached to this section is a cylinder that fits down into the counterweight shaft to prevent movement. Lucas was nice enough to throw a pier adapter for free. He's really good person to do business with.

I have people coming in from out of town to install it in my observatory. Even though the obsv is in my backyard I had to go full remote. Being hooked up to a medical machine for 8 hrs night prevents me from going out for rain and power failures. Still have to install the MVO Controls motor panel but the obsv has power and the motor is mounted. I can say that Jim at MVO Controls is a good guy like Lucas and builds his own system as well.  

Mesu 200.jpg

I'm jealous.  I've currently have a mesu on order for two months and counting  (oops, looks like you mentioned 21 days of travel).  He is also charging me for the adapter.  Any way could measure the inside diameter of those counterweights?  I'm looking to source some counterweights from Celestron and have the center bored out to fit.  Thanks.

It should be ready soon. I placed my order at the end of August and it was ready on Oct 27.

The counterweight holes are 40mm.

I live in the USA and thats why shipping took longer because of customs and the Holidays. The mount was in my city for a about a week. If Lucas ships via TNT be sure to call the New York office once it gets there to get a tracking number for the subcontractor they will be using. This is faster because the subcontractor's system is quicker than what's relayed to TNT for an update.  TNT used XPO Logistics and they have a bad reputation across the country but are actually quite good here in Oklahoma City. Not trying to alarm you but you'll have to stay on top of tracking to coordinate delivery.

Lucas is great to work with and will answer any questions you have. I know he responded to about 50 of mine.

Edit: I just noticed you're in the US. Customs was only $60 so that's good news.

Hope you get your Mesu 200 soon.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I knew the shaft was stated as 40mm so I wasn't sure if I had the machine shop bore to 40mm and the shaft was exactly 40mm that the weights would fit.  I might just have the shaft bore to 41mm or something slightly larger so I don't have to wait on the shaft to get here.  That's hopeful news about customs.  I know when I ordered my Moravian G4 camera I didn't pay any additional customs charges.

On 29/11/2016 at 16:57, Mcrogers1 said:

Well after 21 days the mount is finally here. The mount arrived in good condition along with the nice counterweights Lucas Mesu made. He built a solid crate to ship in and this has a section of wood that screws in over the mount. Attached to this section is a cylinder that fits down into the counterweight shaft to prevent movement. Lucas was nice enough to throw a pier adapter for free. He's really good person to do business with.

I have people coming in from out of town to install it in my observatory. Even though the obsv is in my backyard I had to go full remote. Being hooked up to a medical machine for 8 hrs night prevents me from going out for rain and power failures. Still have to install the MVO Controls motor panel but the obsv has power and the motor is mounted. I can say that Jim at MVO Controls is a good guy like Lucas and builds his own system as well.  

Mesu 200.jpg

Looks really good! I am also in the process of a future purchase of a Mesu 200 mount. I come from a Neq6pro moded (running for a couple of years) and want to upgrade to forget about tracking issues and also being able to load it with heavier stuff.

Waiting for your first light and some more images when fully installed in your obsy :)

On 12/6/2016 at 15:57, astrocatinfo said:

Looks really good! I am also in the process of a future purchase of a Mesu 200 mount. I come from a Neq6pro moded (running for a couple of years) and want to upgrade to forget about tracking issues and also being able to load it with heavier stuff.

Waiting for your first light and some more images when fully installed in your obsy :)

I can't wait to get going too. Like most people I have weeks of clouds after getting any new equipment.

Slowly getting the equipment in the obsv. Now if the weather would just cooperate. I think every piece of astrogear comes with 2 weeks of free clouds. I can say the Mesu 200 is easy to balance and I might add the second counterweight when I get the camera installed. Not having to deal with clutches is really nice. Balancing is a lot easier that I thought. The mount stays in place after I power down. Can't wait to finish the set-up.

mesu 200 AT8RC 115EDT.jpg

mesu 200 AT8RC 115EDT_1.jpg

Archived