Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very faint OIII data, can it be saved/used?

So i had a go at gathering some OIII data on the jellyfish and the soul nebula, but it turns out it was way fainter then i had thought, even on a moonless night.
I'm not sure if it can be used at all as it appears to be insanely noisy when stretched. I wish i could have lowered the gain and increased the exposure a lot, but with poor tracking, no guiding, and cars passing by lighting up the camera i didn't dare to.

It might also be a lot down to my processing skills, so i was wondering if any of you guys might have a look at this untouched stacked data and see if it's of any use or if i simply need to start over?

Jellyfish: 131x 120 sec, 100% gain, QHY5L-II-M @ -5c, 135mm F/3.5. Unguided.

Soul: 40x 120 sec, 80% gain, QHY5L-II-M @ -3c, 135mm F/3.5. Unguided.

Soul OIII 40x 120sec 80gain.TIF

Jellyfish 131x 120sec 100 gain.TIF

This is pretty much what I've been able to drag out of the Jellyfish so far with 4 hours 22 min exposure. I knew it was faint in OIII and that I'm using a camera more suitable for guiding then deep sky, but i had still hoped for more.. 
Would lowering the gain and increasing exposure have much effect, or will i simply just need loads and loads of more data?

Also, here's a single untouched exposure for comparison.

Jellyfish 131x 120sec 100 gain test.jpg

L_2016-10-29_04-55-40.jpg

I don't think there is much to get out of these images unfortunately, you seem to have captured just the brighter part of the jellyfish and the soul is pretty much not captured at all.

Conditions were bad last night, i measured the sky to 0.4 SQM brighter than usual so if you are somewhere light polluted it might have been even more difference than that.

Both are targets that really needs 5m++ for ok SNR so 2min is a little short.

I see, thanks for having a look at them.

Without guiding I'm limited to about 120 sec with the QHY5L at 135mm, therefor the 100% gain. It pretty much killed the stars, but i was hoping it would help a bit on the fainter nebula though
I exposed until histogram was about 1/4 from left, but i guess I simply will have to lower the gain and increase the exposure to get a much better SNR.

Edit: And yes, i live in a rather light polluted area. Here's how it looks where i live.

lightpollution.jpg

Archived