Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

8 Minute Pacman

A rare foray into telescopic imaging for me, this was taken with a SkyWatcher 120ED, reducer/flattener and my modded Canon 1100D.

30636123485_d05a773b61_b.jpg

It's just 8 minutes of data in 30 second unguided subs at ISO 6400, no calibration frames. I'm surprised how well it's come out given the short run but the Pacman is pretty bright. It's a test run of the scope on a Vixen GPD (I think, EQ5 equivalent) mount and gives me more confidence I can work with it. The next step is to get guiding properly.

Here's an old widefield taken with a 35mm lens that shows its location in Cassiopeia:

20017431195_c1da487c0d_b.jpg

It is  a rare foray indeed for you, you normally do camera lens wide angle etc. are you still using Takumars? I liked all the Orion wide angles you did.

Another question, Is that telescopic AP 'bug' starting to bite?

great image for 8 mins though.

Tim

22 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

For a rare foray you seem very good at it! :)

Thanks, it's a learning curve for me. I've dabbled a little with telescopic imaging but am generally happier and more productive with my camera lenses. I struggle with basic things like balancing and aligning on guide stars, as I don't have much visual experience I find it hard to relate the view through the finder with the sky. It also doesn't help that I only get intermittant opportunities to image as the scopes I can use are down in Cornwall. I've had guiding going a couple times but only briefly, the Pacman image gives me confidence that I can get the polar alignment and balance good enough for it to work if the conditions are right.

19 hours ago, Cozzy said:

It is  a rare foray indeed for you, you normally do camera lens wide angle etc. are you still using Takumars? I liked all the Orion wide angles you did.

Another question, Is that telescopic AP 'bug' starting to bite?

Haven't been using the Takumars so much since I splashed out on my 200mm f2.8 lens but the first one I bought (the 135mm f3.5 for £18) had a good run out the other day. Bringing out the 50mm again is high on my priority list.

I'm keen to get going with telescopic imaging as the longer focal length opens up a world of possibilities, for example I had a go at the Pacman at 200mm last year and the result wasn't worth posting. On the other hand there are still plenty of worthwhile targets for my lenses, so I'm reluctant to budget too much of my limited time struggling with the scope. My priorities with the ED120 this winter are a good run on M42 and a galaxy, fingers crossed I can manage that.

29 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

My priorities with the ED120 this winter are a good run on M42 and a galaxy, fingers crossed I can manage that.

Good luck hope all goes well.

Tim

Archived