NEQ6 backslash

I got a used NEQ6 mount. When I tight the declination axis, it is locked but I can still feel the axis can be tilted just a little bit. I wonder if this normal. I know the dec axis is driven by gear which has backslash to some extent. I hope this will not affect the tracking and guiding. Thanks!

Yuexiao 

Yes, what you "feel" moving is the slight backlash in the gears.  Mine does it as well.  As soon as you apply power and start the mount moving the backlash will go when the gears are being driven. The RA does it slightly as well on mine.

If it's similar to the heq5 then yes it's normal as far as how the mount comes out of the factory. As it stands it will most likely function as you would expect  but if you're like me then you'll feel better tweaking a bit in order to lose the play. It takes quite a bit of time to get the balance right between excessive play and causing the axis to jam and I'll pre warn you it can be a very frustrating exercise. The best advice I can give is to have a look at astrobabies guide online http://geonik.homeip.net/home/Workshop/HEQ5Declinationbacklashelimination/tabid/143/Default.aspxAll the best with it. 

James :happy7:

8 hours ago, iwols said:

does a belt upgrade improve this?

The belt mod gets rid of the transfer gear between the motor and the worm so won't affect the backlash between the worm and spur gear. The mod is still well worth doing as it reduces periodic error and makes the mount sound a lot sweeter.

6 hours ago, Hadron said:

If it's similar to the heq5 then yes it's normal as far as how the mount comes out of the factory. As it stands it will most likely function as you would expect  but if you're like me then you'll feel better tweaking a bit in order to lose the play. It takes quite a bit of time to get the balance right between excessive play and causing the axis to jam and I'll pre warn you it can be a very frustrating exercise. The best advice I can give is to have a look at astrobabies guide online http://geonik.homeip.net/home/Workshop/HEQ5Declinationbacklashelimination/tabid/143/Default.aspxAll the best with it. 

James :happy7:

That doesn't look like Astrobaby's site and refers to the HEQ5 (the OP has an NEQ6). Try this link instead: http://www.astro-baby.com/EQ6 rebuild guide/EQ6 Strip Down Home.htm

After spending many hours trying to remove the last traces of backlash without binding up I subsequently found that it actually guides better when there is some backlash but making sure that the mount is always East side heavy. So dont stress about it !!

Archived