sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

Hi everyone,

I’m putting a shopping list together for an astrophotography setup and I could really do with a bit of advice on my options thus far.

My aim is to photograph DSO’s  (I’m really keen on imaging galaxies) I need a rig that is easy to set up and also portable as I plan to transport it to the darkest skies I have available to me.

I’ve been shooting wide field astrophotography with a DSLR and a tripod for about 5 years now so I already own a modified Sony A7S and an unmodified Canon 5D Mk3, so I will start by shooting with these bodies.

I'm still undecided on scope and mount, hence the list has options.

My list so far:

Telescope:
Orion ED80
WIlliam Optics GT81
Explore Scientific 80 Essentials

Mount:
EQ6
HEQ5

Finder Scope and CCD for Guiding:
Orion Mini 50mm Guidescope
Meade DSI Colour

I intend on using PHD for guiding. I also need other accessories such as field flatteners etc, so any advice on 'the extras' would also be greatly appreciated.

I don't expect to get hubble-esque images from this rig! I would like to go down the refractor route, but other than M31 which is, of course, rather large, are these telescopes going to be any good for galaxies? It is one of the reasons I am leaning towards the Orion ED80 as the scope for that extra 120mm of focal length as all the scopes listed are f/6.

I'm also leaning towards the EQ6 for the mount but any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks is advance!
Edited by Astro Buer

The only scope I would add to that list might be the Skywatcher Esprit 80 plus flattener.  I really like my Esprit 120 and have considered an Esprit 80 for wide-field.  I have read about a number f folks who seem happy with theirs.  However, it comes with a foot, not rings, so if you were planning to get a dedicated guidescope at some point (like the ST80) I am not sure how you would connect one to the other.   It should work fine with the finder-guider you are thinking about using though.

Go find a club that has an imaging section: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

To me the equipment listed does not seem to match the requirements of transportable and easy to set up.

Have you seen, preferably lifted an EQ6? I have an HEQ5, I also have an EQ5. The reason I have the EQ5 is simply the weight and size of the HEQ5, no way was I going to think of hauling the HEQ5 around. Even into and out of the car was enough to put me off it.

• Like 1

Gnomus, thanks for pointing me towards the Sky Watcher Esprit, I’ll look into that for sure.

Ronin, I have looked at astro clubs in my area as I know there will be people there will be able to give me a good steer. It’s something I plan to pursue in the near future, so thanks for the link.

Regarding the weight of the HEQ5, I know it is a little heavy (Tripod 5.6kg, Mount 10kg plus weights 5kg each) and the EQ6 being heavier weighing in at 23.5Kgs without weights… But I am quite used to hiking with a 15kg bag on my back (I know the differentiation of the weight is different!) plus when I travel I usually take two 23kg bags with me, and I get those two and from the car without issue so the weight of the mount does not bother me too much.

Everyone keeps saying that the mount is 70% responsible for your success, so I want to make sure I get this right, so if that means a little more muscle power to get it to and from a dark site, then I’m ok with that.

Thanks so much for your comments so far :icon_biggrin:

If it is galaxies that interest you, then most of those refractors have too short a focal length to really do them justice I reckon, other than some notable larger ones. You need something with a little more reach, which will also up the challenge, but galaxies are basically not easy. To fit on an HEQ5, you could look at a 6" or 8" RC to add to your decision difficulties.

13 hours ago, MattJenko said:

If it is galaxies that interest you, then most of those refractors have too short a focal length to really do them justice I reckon, other than some notable larger ones. You need something with a little more reach, which will also up the challenge, but galaxies are basically not easy. To fit on an HEQ5, you could look at a 6" or 8" RC to add to your decision difficulties.

Thanks MattJenko. Are there any RC's within a reasonable price range that you would particularly recommend? 

Also I see you are based in North Essex and have some wonderful images on your website. Could I trouble you to ask where you usually image from?

Edited by Astro Buer

There are a few manufacturers of the RC6, with different brandings, which are in the £400 category. They are compact, and whilst certainly not as straightforward to use as refractors, they might offer an alternative to your original list.

I usually image from my back garden, which is up near the Suffolk border, in a street-light-less village, so I am lucky in that regard.

The the exception of M33 & M31, galaxies are pretty small objects in the night sky. You're going to need some more focal length to do them any justice than an ED80 will give you, my primary interest is also galaxies and I image with a 6"RC from Altair Astro reduced down a little to just over 900mm focal length, which I find gives me a wide range of targets to image, but there are a huge amount more that even at 900mm I'm a little short on.

The 6"RC isn't what I would class as a beginners scope, and you may find it a little frustrating to begin with, but if galaxy imaging is what you are after there is no substitute for focal length.

Have a look at my web page in sig or my flickr stream to see what can be achieved witht e 6"RC and a mono Atik CCD camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skywatcher150/

Edited by johnrt
1 hour ago, MattJenko said:

There are a few manufacturers of the RC6, with different brandings, which are in the £400 category. They are compact, and whilst certainly not as straightforward to use as refractors, they might offer an alternative to your original list.

I usually image from my back garden, which is up near the Suffolk border, in a street-light-less village, so I am lucky in that regard.

Thanks MattJenko

59 minutes ago, johnrt said:

The the exception of M33 & M31, galaxies are pretty small objects in the night sky. You're going to need some more focal length to do them any justice than an ED80 will give you, my primary interest is also galaxies and I image with a 6"RC from Altair Astro reduced down a little to just over 900mm focal length, which I find gives me a wide range of targets to image, but there are a huge amount more that even at 900mm I'm a little short on.

The 6"RC isn't what I would class as a beginners scope, and you may find it a little frustrating to begin with, but if galaxy imaging is what you are after there is no substitute for focal length.

Have a look at my web page in sig or my flickr stream to see what can be achieved witht e 6"RC and a mono Atik CCD camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skywatcher150/

Thanks Johnrt, some wonderful images on your site also! I've found the Orion RC6 which has a focal length of 1370mm but I have to say the 6"RC Altair Astro does look good.

Thanks for all your help :)

1 hour ago, Astro Buer said:

Thanks MattJenko

Thanks Johnrt, some wonderful images on your site also! I've found the Orion RC6 which has a focal length of 1370mm but I have to say the 6"RC Altair Astro does look good.

Thanks for all your help :)

The Orion & Altair 6'RC are essentially the same scope, but may come with different accessories. The 6" RC at native focal length is f/9 which from experience I can tell you is too slow for DSO imaging here in the UK, you will need to think about also adding a reducer to speed it up a little and make it manageable. The Astro Physics CCDT67 works well with this scope.

Edited by johnrt
On 31 October 2016 at 11:26, johnrt said:

The Orion & Altair 6'RC are essentially the same scope, but may come with different accessories. The 6" RC at native focal length is f/9 which from experience I can tell you is too slow for DSO imaging here in the UK, you will need to think about also adding a reducer to speed it up a little and make it manageable. The Astro Physics CCDT67 works well with this scope.

Thanks johnrt. 

If I was to stick along the refractor route what about the Explore Scientific ED APO 127mm f/7.5 Carbon Fibre v2.0 Triplet Refractor OTA?

Weighing in at 6.8kg and with a focal length of 952mm at f7.5, it would still sit within the HEQ5's payload for imaging. I know there will be other weight added and you should over egg the mount where possible... to be safe maybe I should just go for the EQ6 and get down the gym! 

31 minutes ago, Astro Buer said:

Thanks johnrt. 

If I was to stick along the refractor route what about the Explore Scientific ED APO 127mm f/7.5 Carbon Fibre v2.0 Triplet Refractor OTA?

Weighing in at 6.8kg and with a focal length of 952mm at f7.5, it would still sit within the HEQ5's payload for imaging. I know there will be other weight added and you should over egg the mount where possible... to be safe maybe I should just go for the EQ6 and get down the gym! 

Once you have added accessories for guiding and cameras etc you are going to be really pushing the upper limit of an HEQ5, personally I would be looking at an EQ6 for that kind of weight. Your mount is the key to a successful imaging rig, you can have the best scope, cameras and filters in the world, but on a struggling mount they are useless. Don't skimp on the mount.

As for the 127mm triplet, I'm not aware of any images taken with it. The hallmark of a quality refractor is how it handles the blue end of the spectrum, an example with poor colour correction will bloat the blue and give you nasty rings on stars, I'm not aware of any images taken with this OTA, and I'd personally want to see plenty before I splashed £1500 on it.

Of course with an RC reflector at 1/5th the retail price you don't need to worry about poor colour correction ;)

3 hours ago, johnrt said:

Of course with an RC reflector at 1/5th the retail price you don't need to worry about poor colour correction

:) ... I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but when using the Astro Physics CCDT67, does this also act as a field flattener? I know the RC's handle coma well, hence they are such a good choice for photography, but I've been searching the web for a while now and cannot find an answer. Basically, will I need a field flattener as well?

So updated list would be:

Altair Astro 6"RC

HEQ5 with Synscan

Astro Physics CCDT67

Meade DSI Colour

I would probably image with my Canon 5D3 as I could run Backyard EOS, but this will add to the weight over the Sony A7S (which is modded...) But I have read that the Sony adds a noise reducing algorithm on bulb exposures that is a bit like the old Star Eater Algorithm of Nikon in days gone by, so not great for galaxies I'm assuming as I would be looking to take subs of over 30secs...

Would you still recommend the EQ6 with the above setup?

Sorry for my naivety! I'm sure you can empathise in some way from when you first started out...  

21 hours ago, Astro Buer said:

:) ... I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but when using the Astro Physics CCDT67, does this also act as a field flattener? I know the RC's handle coma well, hence they are such a good choice for photography, but I've been searching the web for a while now and cannot find an answer. Basically, will I need a field flattener as well?

So updated list would be:

Altair Astro 6"RC

HEQ5 with Synscan

Astro Physics CCDT67

Meade DSI Colour

I would probably image with my Canon 5D3 as I could run Backyard EOS, but this will add to the weight over the Sony A7S (which is modded...) But I have read that the Sony adds a noise reducing algorithm on bulb exposures that is a bit like the old Star Eater Algorithm of Nikon in days gone by, so not great for galaxies I'm assuming as I would be looking to take subs of over 30secs...

Would you still recommend the EQ6 with the above setup?

Sorry for my naivety! I'm sure you can empathise in some way from when you first started out...  

Yes the telecompressor gives a great flat for imaging with this scope. Be warned though I would not class the 6"RC as a beginners scope if you do decide to go down that route.

I have an 8" RC and like it very much but my 80mm refractor is my scope of choice except during February and March.

I wouldn't recommend an RC for a first foray into guiding, don't underestimate the difficulties and frustrations that can arise. There's a whole host of fabulous targets for your camera combined with a fast 80mm refractor..... come back to the small stuff later.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SuburbanMak
      I almost hesitate to ask this but ahem, here goes... 
      My EBay white light filter turned up today & I scurried out into the garden like an excited child on Christmas morning. 

After a bit of faffing I have it clamped to the ST80 and using the equally cheap but pleasingly effective SV-Bony pinhole projector finder (can’t believe it just slotted in and is aligned as there’s no way to adjust) there is a lovely big, crisp, solar disc. 

Can’t see any sunspots though - and here’s the dumb question - is there just nothing doing today or am I missing a trick? 

Any beginner tips on white light observation gratefully received...

• By blameTECHIE
      I don't expect any replies - think I'm just braindumping for the mental wellbeing aspect of a frustrating night.
      ---
      Having been ill through the week, Saturday found me feeling well enough to get outside and see if I could hook some things together and try to get FirstLight through some of my recent purchases.  I've been using my Star Adventurer mini-rig [SA non-wifi, Canon 200D (unmodified), >30yr old Tamron 200mm f3.5] but knew things were going to be very different, and was keen to get going.
      So the kit was all lined up:
      > Laptop (Win10), Raspberry Pi4 with Astroberry
      > EQ6-R Pro
      > SW 80ED-DS Pro (Kit), SVBony SV106 190mm/50mm Guide Scope
      > ZWO ASI 224MC, Canon 200D, SVBony SV205, 7TC ASI 120MC clone
      > USB GPS Dongle (G72 G-Mouse Glonass Beidou GNSS) for location
      and mains power for all via various PSUs with enough USB cables to circle the planet
      ---
      Didn't take too long to get both Win10 (ASCOM) or Astroberry (INDI) talking to the mount and progress was being made - RA/DEC all seemed fine so onto the cameras.  Found a distant object and SharpCap gave me images for all three USB devices once I had the SVBony as a Windows WebCam (RESULT!) and the same through INDI on the Astroberry, all three displayed images when enabling Streaming.
      Settled on EQ6-R, SW 80ED, ASI224MC for imaging, SV106/SV205 for guiding
      That's it (I thought!) and I broke down the rig and moved it to the lawn - I say lawn, more like a mossy bank but serves the purpose - and wait until dusk where a simple Polar Align and I'll be grabbing images of M51 Whirlpool in no time ...............

(I must cut the lawn, even if just to get rid of the blue from spray-painting a new table a couple of weekends ago)

(please ignore the middle dew heater, was there to remind me to put it on the guide scope later)
      ---
      PA on the Star Adventurer, 30mins (5mins for the alignment, 5mins for remembering which phone app has a PA Clock and the obligatory 20mins to find the flamin' polar illuminator!) - this has been giving me consistent 5min exposures with no trailing.
      PA on the EQ6-R is 'interesting' - I have a QHY PoleMaster but am waiting on the adapter from FLO (stock issues) so it was SharpCap alignment.
      Wait for it to get dark enough, then get focus, then wait for platesolving in a "change exposure, gain, star threshold, black threshold, platesolve again" loop for over an hour.  Woohoo, plate solved ..... oh, rotate around RA ..... and perform the same operation again ..... ARGHHH!
      Over two hours later (probably more like 3hrs+) I've got polar alignment to within 12 seconds (wishing I'd screengrabbed that now).  I really don't like the adjustment mechanism, the thread pitch is far too high for minute adjustments of alignment!
      ---
      And onto guiding ........................ or maybe not.
      PHD2, Nothing through it at all .... then remembered I'd not refocused the guide scope, then it was taking the Darks library.  Still nothing.  Opened the SV205 via SharpCap and got focus, switched back to PHD2, still nothing ...... hmm, is this just an unsupported camera (windows 'webcam').  So switched out for the 120MC copy - Amazon 7TC special.
      Repeated the SharpCap for focus, then PHD2 Darks library and BOOM I have stars showing up in PHD2 - RESULT ...... I'll leave it at that for a moment and try looking at something, see what I get from the 224MC main camera and what PHD2 gives me in the guide scope.
      So onto the next 'learning opportunity' - target selection
      ---
      Erm, how do I select a target for goto with just two camera apps .... aha, Stellarium
      No Telescope selected, easy - it went something like this:
      "Open Stellarium, select telescope, select ASCOM ... there we go ... nope, it won't connect ... restart everything (twice) ... redo settings (twice) ... check ASCOM diagnostics (all passed) ... quick google search, aha I'm not the only one, you have to select the scope within the options pane ... what options pane .... oh, scroll down ..."
      And I now have Stellarium control of the scope - again a RESULT - it's taking time but I think I'm making progress here .... hmm, it's getting bloody cold, wow, it's midnight!
      ---
      So I now have an in focus 224MC, an in focus guide scope and control over the mount, here we go ... I'll be stacking images in the morning and making millions from selling prints online
      NOPE!
      Easy targets for testing were below the horizon (basically M42) so I'll just pick Vega and make sure slewing works, imaging works and can see how guiding works.
      Nothing, no bright star at all - okay, bigger target - the moon.
      Again nothing, no bright screen - so switched out the camera for a 26mm LER EP and a diagonal and manually aligned the moon - then, and here comes stupid, refocused (!) for the moon.
      ---
      Stellarium wasn't syncing with the mount - I was 'off' on any selected target and by a lot
      Quick google search and I'm no the only one - no sync points on my clean build so wasn't that, but use of the GPS dongle for location and TIME might be the problem.
      ---
      And at this point it as 2:30am - prime viewing time last night with the moon disappearing in the West behind me - the garden slopes due-West to due-East so I only get Partial-North>East>Partial-South viewing.
      Time to give up, have a small glass of Red and look for more things to buy on SGL/Astro B&S.
      ---
      Today - well I had to break everything down to get it into the garage (too heavy to carry as one with current health) - I'll try to get the ASCOM/GPS element sorted out and maybe this evening try some targeting/lunar rate tracking so see if that major element is resolved.
      And, if you've made it this far, please accept this for your perseverance🎖️, you've earned it.
    • By chrobakx
      This is Celestron cg3 mount suitable for any telescope tube with vixen dovetail.
      Load capacity is approximately up to 4 kg
      Condition is used, but in very good shape. 
      It's comcompletely with 3d printed levelling plate, under tray for accessories, slow motion and locking knobs.
      Mount was completely stripped down, removed factory sticky grease and applied proper grease where applicable.
      Price: £90
      I can post it by Hermes or DPD if you are happy to pay for postage.
      I'll accept PayPal as family/friends or commercial if you'll pay the 3% fee.

• By AlvinP
      Hello,
      I've been on these forums a couple of times for the last 2 weeks and ive found amazing advice, on telescopes, mounts and eyepiece. Besides reading countless of information on the internet about various equipments; pros and cons; and i got some queries about how to upgrade my setup.
      My original purchase was a 15x70 Celestron Binoculars last year, and boy ive seen amazing things with it, specially globular clusters, Jupiter and Saturn and the Orion's Nebula; for me these were amazing; i still use them given how easy it is to look at the sky with them and how bright and full everything looks.  A couple of months ago i got a 70x400mm Gskyer Telescope with an AZ mount (The cheap 99$ one that Amazon is displaying on all its adds for the last two months)  it came with a 25mm and a 10mm eyepieces as well as a x3 barlows (which i didnt even count as part of my scope as it is too bad quality and i havent managed a single decent view with it).

Currently My Celestron Binoculars (x15) seem better for visualizing the sky than the 25mm eyepiece (x16) (things seem a very bit dimmer). And since the Barlow is a "no go", the 10mm (x40) eyepiece is what i really use, it has decent zoom and detailed views , it is my go to eyepiece most of the nights.
      However from reading all around, ive read that most of the stuff that come with the Telescope (aside from the scope itself) are actually really bad quality, specially no name brands without even webpage, so if i were to maximise my telescope i should update some of those items.
      -Recently i ordered a new Start diagonal to replace to default one (ive heard on Refractors its usually the weakest link next to eyepieces) as well as an economic x2 Barlow lens
      Keep in mind i recognize my 70mm cheap telescope will not suddendly become the Hubble Telescope, and that it doesnt matter how hard i push it, in the end such a low scope will be bound to hit its limit pretty fast, thats why i avoid 70$+ eyepieces and barlows for now.
      I expect to keep using this telescope for a good couple of months; at least until around August, when Jupiter and Saturn are more in the night sky, rather than morning.

Now, im very satisfied with my current telescope; while the phone mount is garbage and the phone weight and the sound of my heartbeats pretty much shake the telescope out of position, as well as how cheap the mount is; it still gets the job done for seeing interesting stuff in the sky and i have managed to do some AP for some of the globular clusters, bunch of 1-2s images (with the wrong lens), not the best, not even good pictures; but decent overall for my equipment. I am currently interested in stargazing in general and some minor AP (as i dont have a camera, currently an Iphone 7s with the mount) Buuut im interested in borrowing a camera for the low sky photos without a telescope.
      I do most 97% of my Skywatching on my backyard, i live in a small country, there is some light pollution, but i can see the pleiades and the orion's nebula core on the naked eye most nights (so i guess its not that contaminated lol)
      Now; currently i like finding stuff by myself and show it to the other people around me who cant be bothered to find the moon in the sky, so setting up, finding and seeing stuff is part of what i like. 
      With all the above in mind..... Id like to plan ahead for my next purchases.
      First, im thinking a x3 barlow lens (to replace the original crappy one) and a 15mm lens (to have a bit better view than the 10mm, but less spread than the 25mm) in two or three months (with this id be able to check if my new eyepiece outperforms my default ones, but given the quality of the scope, i dont expect this to be noticeable).
      And Afterwards id love to get a new Scope, but im not quite sure what i want... and i would like some advice and help in choosing my next Scope upgrade.
      -I entered with and im liking the refractors; however i dont wanna spend 300-400$ on another refractor that is 20-30% better for triple the price
      -Ive heard really long focal lenght might bring some distortions; and also make the scope much bulkier, annnd most importantly i know that magnification is not everything; so a 1000mm long tube would prob bring too much magnifications for me to use properly on my backyard skies. So i think id settle for a maximum of 600-700mm.
      -Originally i was againts Newtonians in general, those inverted views scared me, i have a hard time of my own with my finderscope. Then i found out that Reflectors are the name of efficiency as they have more value per aperture than refractors; and as someone once mentioned "There is not really up and down in space, you will get used to it" annnd its true... save for references on the ground, like buildings, trees and mountains to help you locate where you are in the sky; once you are on it, you dont need right ups and downs.
      -I did see some 90mm Orion's Refractors as well as 90-102 Celestron Astromaster Refractors (these are 350-400$)
      -Im thinking a 130mm reflector is what im looking for; i think the 130mm aperture is a nice upgrade for my 70mm, and will keep me occupied for quite a long time; ive read about Orion SpaceProbe 130EQ and Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (ive also read, Power Seekers and Astromaster's are made out of pretty much garbage lol) Ive read that the main issue is the constant collimation required for them; but ive also read its something that can be learned and once you get used to it; its a pretty easy thing to do to keep getting amazing views.
      -Ive also seen people recommending  6-8'' Dobsonians; i know the deal with them; if anything i could aim for a 6'' one i found a litter under 300$ ive read they are amazing values for their aperture
      So, TL;DR: I have a 70x400mm Telescope, im new to stargazing, im really amazed and excited by what im seeing with my current scope, but would like an stable upgrade before the end of the year that will last me a year or two. I am interesteted both in regular and deep sky stargazing and astrophotography;  im not currently interested in an motorized mount; could deal with a regular Equatorial mount. But overall i am looking for  more aperture (100-150mm) to have clearer views; than focal lenght for zoom.

Im also open to the fact that at one point i might have to get a scope for stargazing and another for AP; but would like an upgrade that could help me all around for both while i get initiated.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sorrry for the Huuuuuuuuge post, i was very excited while writing it; please let me know what you think and if there's anything else you'd want me to add to help understand my situation, thanks in advance!

• By chrobakx
      I looking for a polar scope for my eq3 or HEQ5 mount

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.