Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

bonzodog

Help focusing Phil Dyer Camera on SW 200p

Hi..
I bought a PD Video Camera Dec. last year - to use on my SW 200p reflector - I would like some advise
on how to achieve focus - from someone who has succeeded on the SW 200p. i.e. what do I need to place in the
eyepiece to get the correct back-focus. I've tried loads of combinations to no avail..
even a sipmle pic. diagram - doing me head in.
kind regards.

Most standard Newts have an issue with back focus.

This means that you cannot focus close enough to the focuser to acheive focus.

There are a few options.
1. Buy a low profile focuser - this MIGHT help and give enough back focus.

2. The standard Skywatcher focuser used to come with a removeable part (the part that the Eyepeices slot into), this left a T thread for use with camera. This often gave enough back focus - but you had to screw the camera into the T thread.

3. Move the mirror up the tube - I did this on a 150P - it worked really well, but it was a bit of work to remove an inch from the bottom of the tube and drill new holes and re-attach. Quite a scary thing to do to a nice shiny new scope. But it DOES work.

4. You could use a Barlow Lens. A barlow lens will increase the effective magnification of the setup - it has several effects. It increases image scale, lowers the speed of the scope (F5 to around F10 for a 2x barlow), but crucially it also moves the focus point out so you should be able to focus with your camera. 

Hope that helps. 

Ant

• Like 1

ARGH - forget all that.. the dual Power/Video cable supplied was Faulty - just bought a replacement 10m BNC DC cable.. wallah focused puurfect.. - I could almost cry - months and months - all those clear sky sessions wasted trying to get an image on screen - all those various length focal adapters - all those un-answered support emails to Phil Dyer - whatever moving on..

• Like 1

Lol - it won't be the last time a lead lets you down :)

Glad your focused OK now.

Ant

• Like 1

On 28/10/2016 at 12:23, bonzodog said:

ARGH - forget all that.. the dual Power/Video cable supplied was Faulty - just bought a replacement 10m BNC DC cable.. wallah focused puurfect.. - I could almost cry - months and months - all those clear sky sessions wasted trying to get an image on screen - all those various length focal adapters - all those un-answered support emails to Phil Dyer - whatever moving on..

Hi Bonzodog. I had exactly the same problem as you, only i was using it with a Celestron C9.25 OTA. The cable was rubbish and i got a snowy signal until I bought a better quality cable. I also ended up having to buy a better USB video capture cable as that was also pants lol. Anyway glad you got it sorted!

Nuka 

• Like 1

absolutely spot on - it's hit and miss.. if you can recommend a particular one let me know.. 

• Like 1

the focusing solution is to get a C mount 0.5 focal reducer - actually managed some Moon images.. :)

photShop_01.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now