Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

drb1976

Deep Sky Stacker Test, 5 stack methods

I did a test using the same stack of images, but using 5 different stack modes in deep sky stacker... which one is best?

I just did very minimal adjustments to them and they all have the same....align rgb, and adjust exposure....

this is a stack of 26 min 30 sec........

106*15 lights, no darks no flats no bias,,,,,,iso=3200 f7.1 on 50 mm lens...........

If someone would like to process them and see what you get out of them that would be great....... I cant really see too much of a difference between the different stack modes

All of them have the same file size except the first one the avg stack mode,,,it is smaller.... 2 other stack modes auto adaptive and maximum stack didn't work

avg stack modecopy.TIF

entropy weighted avg stackcopy.TIF

kappa sigma clipping stack modecopy.TIF

median kappa sigma stackcopy.TIF

median stack modecopy.TIF

If you have enough subs (I believe ~12 are recommended, although I've used as few as 8 before) you want to use a Kappa Sigma Clip. It's a statistical stacking method, where outlier pixel values are rejected. It's great at removing satellite trails, meteors, little patches of cloud scudding through the frame and even airplane lights. It's also very effective at reducing noise when used with dithering (changing the aim point very slightly between exposures.)

By the way, it's useful to list your equipment in your sig when asking for advice so people know what you're working with. If you're using a 50mm lens it should be fine at about f4.5 or perhaps f4.0, which will greatly increase its light-gathering ability. I'd also recommend dropping the ISO and increasing your exposure time, but I don't know what mount you are using. Imaging at 50mm is very forgiving, I was able to get 2 minute subs on my EQ3 even before I bought a polar scope for it.

Hope that's some help.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

If you have enough subs (I believe ~12 are recommended, although I've used as few as 8 before) you want to use a Kappa Sigma Clip. It's a statistical stacking method, where outlier pixel values are rejected. It's great at removing satellite trails, meteors, little patches of cloud scudding through the frame and even airplane lights. It's also very effective at reducing noise when used with dithering (changing the aim point very slightly between exposures.)

By the way, it's useful to list your equipment in your sig when asking for advice so people know what you're working with. If you're using a 50mm lens it should be fine at about f4.5 or perhaps f4.0, which will greatly increase its light-gathering ability. I'd also recommend dropping the ISO and increasing your exposure time, but I don't know what mount you are using. Imaging at 50mm is very forgiving, I was able to get 2 minute subs on my EQ3 even before I bought a polar scope for it.

Hope that's some help.

sorry for not posting that info.. I am using a Samsung nx2000 kit lens 20-50 mm, I just have a static tripod and a homemade barndoor tracker I made