Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Large skywatchers dovetail

Ant

I have a large skywatcher dovetail.

I need to cut into two peices (2/3 and 1/3 lengths).

I know cutting alu is a bit of a pain, I have a drimmel with various cutting blades (incl diamond).

Whats the best way to do it? I'm not overly fussed what the end result looks like as I can tidy up the job after the cut! 

Thanks

Ant

A hacksaw will go through it like butter.

If you have an electric chopsaw with a carbide tipped blade then that will also cut ally. Just use a touch of candlewax or tallow on the blade first. It'll leave a far finer finish than a hacksaw.

14 minutes ago, Ant said:

I know cutting alu is a bit of a pain, I have a drimmel with various cutting blades (incl diamond).

Dont use grinder discs to cut ally. Normal steel discs can clog up with ally which can then expand and shatter the disc. Same goes for grinder wheels....never use one to shape aluminium.

I have every tool known to man, except a hack saw. 

Down shop, junior hack saw and extra blades...

15 minutes later I have two dovetails 2/3 and 1/3.

The long one fitted to the ST and the other to the base of the PST. Job done :)

I then looked in my bits and bobs box and found three dovetails that I forgot I had, including a medium... which would have been ideal!

At least I have a hack saw now :)

Ant

Archived