SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mirror Re-Aluminisation

It was secondhand a couple of years ago.  It comes with a shroud and the secondary mirror has been replaced as well. What would be a good price to pay for one of these do you think? I feel almost untrustworthy like I'm talking about it behind the blokes back! He probably resides on here as well! HaHa..but being new to this I dont want to be 'done' and also want to pay a fair price as well...

1 hour ago, Timmers said:

It was secondhand a couple of years ago.  It comes with a shroud and the secondary mirror has been replaced as well. What would be a good price to pay for one of these do you think? I feel almost untrustworthy like I'm talking about it behind the blokes back! He probably resides on here as well! HaHa..but being new to this I dont want to be 'done' and also want to pay a fair price as well...

It is evidence of smart thinking to get some information and third party opinions before you purchase anything you are not familiar with. Nothing to feel bad about!

7 hours ago, Timmers said:

Hi,

I dont know all the details of it yet but I've been offered a 12" Lightbridge that has had the mirror re-aluminised. Anything I should worry about please?

cheers

Hi. Having an older  telescope mirror recoated could be an advantage, if it has been done at a reputable company. Obviously the one that stands out in the UK is Orion Optics uk who do this kind of work on mirrors I believe. Would be an advantage if you could find out if this company did the re coat work. Nowerdays they also use coats like hilux to provide a protected coating to the mirror to help prolong it's life.

As for second hand values, if it's in great condition overall, then usually around 50 % to 70 % of its new price is a reasonable bench mark to pay IMO

I hope the above helps☺

I just thought I would close the story on this and say that I bought the 12 " lightbridge with the re-aluminised mirror and new secondary lens. The chap I bought it from is a gem.  An Astro wizard in Chelmsford by the name of Jim Vincent who just knows a little about mirrors and lens and making your own scopes. I'm sure a lot of people on here know Jim even though he's not a member. So I can't embarrass him in public by saying what a top fella. Thanks Jim! I'll report back with my first session at some time. Come on clouds.  Move on please! 

Archived