Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

gnomus

Bat Nebula - Eastern Veil - Bicolour

We have been battling a bit over that last few nights trying to gather data on a detail of the Eastern Veil nebula - a section known as the Bat.  This is 20 minute Ha and OIII subs - 5 hours of Ha and 3 hours 40 mins of OIII.  Esprit 120; QSI 690; Mesu 200 - Astrodon 3nm filters.

All comments gratefully received.

09_HOO_PI_SCNRx1920.jpg

Edited by gnomus
  • Like 28

I think you have struck a lovely fine balance of the Ha and OIII in this bicolour image, you have certainly got the esprit working well for you, I can also see why they call it the Bat, but to me it looks more like a tawny owl but guess there is plenty of Dso's with owl connections. Superb Image!

• Like 1

Awesome detail.  Those 3nm filters are working well for you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, morimarty said:

I think you have struck a lovely fine balance of the Ha and OIII in this bicolour image, you have certainly got the esprit working well for you, I can also see why they call it the Bat, but to me it looks more like a tawny owl but guess there is plenty of Dso's with owl connections. Superb Image!

Thanks Martyn.  I don't know about owls.  For some reason the Eastern Veil always makes me think of the Ridley Scott movie 'Alien'.

alienjaw.jpg

• Like 2

Lovel fine, intricate detail showing of the filamentary structure - just how it should be :)  I always thought this bit was called the 'network nebula' but there are so many names for every object!

ChrisH

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Lovel fine, intricate detail showing of the filamentary structure - just how it should be :)  I always thought this bit was called the 'network nebula' but there are so many names for every object!

ChrisH

Thanks Chris - never heard of the Network Nebula, but a quick Google reveals that you are correct.

6 hours ago, Rodd said:

Awesome detail.  Those 3nm filters are working well for you.

At that price, I should bl**dy well hope so!

• Like 1

Amazing image - so much detail - a true beauty!

Superb image, one of the best i have seen, very well done and thanks for sharing, i will be coming back to it often.

I was wary of playing around with this, but I think I have managed to get a version where I have pulled just a bit more of the faint stuff out, without wrecking the picture.  I'd be interested in what people think, though.  So - V1 or V2?

04_PS-Levels_HighPassx1920.jpg

Edited by gnomus
  • Like 5

I think both versions are superb, but I'm leaning ever so slightly to V2 as like you say you've managed to squeeze a bit more detail out of it without spoiling the starfield!

Looks absolutely spectacular on my iPhone. Just echoing the comments about the 3nm filters but they really do work well. The image is very clean when zoomed up close too. I'd love to have the kit to capture an image like that. 

5 hours ago, morimarty said:

I think both versions are superb, but I'm leaning ever so slightly to V2 as like you say you've managed to squeeze a bit more detail out of it without spoiling the starfield!

Thank you.  I'm leaning that way too. 

Both are terrific but v2 definitely has more of a sparkle to it with that faint stuff and definitely not overprocessed. Love it. 

To me, even some of the top images I've seen of this DSO look a bit, well, over-stretched and "low res", and I've wondered whether in fact that's just what it looks like.  I think you've convinced me otherwise, that is pure gorgeousness!  I'm really impressed with the clarity and depth.

PS They are both gorgeous, but I they're subtly similar enough for me the by the time I've scrolled up from one to the other I've forgotten what the difference was.

Edited by Notty