Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hello!

I have been looking through the forums sections of this site and found that nichrome wire is a very popular material for dew heaters. I was using my DSLR a several weeks back, and the dew was horrible and it encouraged me to build a nichrome heater. 

My first heater prototype consisted of 22" of wire with a resistance of 4.08 ohm per foot connected directly into a 12V power supply (consisting of 8 AA batteries in parallel). It was wrapped in duck tape. It worked for a while, but then the batteries began to overheat and I had to pull the heater out to let them cool. 

When I used the same prototype heater on 6V (4 AA batteries) it didn't have this same overheating issue, but it produced less heat then when it was on 12V. 

I'm not using a pulse width modulator, but would that solve this issue?

I'm worried as the heater is only really around 8 ohm, it may be short circuiting with such little resistance. The wire can't be terribly long as this is just to heat a DSLR lens. Any input on a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

All that PWM gives you is adjustability - heat output is dependant on current drawn so a PWM generator will not make the system more current efficient. To allow you to use a longer length of nichrome wire even on the small circumference of your DSLR lens, simply lay the wire in a 'sine wave' pattern on your duct tape. I use a really low cost PWM generator to warm the dome of my all sky camera and it is well worth having one so that you can obtain the exact temperature you need. Here is where I got mine from.

• Like 3

Using Ohm's law you are drawing 1.5A (12V / 8R) which is 18 Watts (12V * 1.5A). That is a lot of heat to dissipate. Either use more wire as Steve mentions above or get some new wire with higher resistance.

As a comparison, for my 125mm refractor I usually generate about 3 to 4 Watts. It should be barely warm to the touch...in fact mine is difficult to tell if it is on or not (except for the lack of formation of dew).

Edited by StuartJPP
  • Like 3

I'm using 70 ohms on my all sky camera dome, run from 12v or so and that's more than enough.  But I'm using 7 10Ω resistors.  I have used nichrome wire in the past but electrically insulating it well without too much thermal insulation can be a problem.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the quick replies! I really appreciate the input! If I were to use more wire or purchase wire that has a higher resistance, would this prevent my batteries from overheating? 

your batteries are overheating because you a draining them to fast, you need a bigger a/hr battery supply

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By trunting
      I've been having another crack at DSO imaging lately, and I've managed to produce this from 6 hours of integration: 
      I'm quite pleased with it but I'm very new to image processing, so I'd be incredibly grateful if someone wouldn't mind having a go at processing my data!

Image Info:
      Lights: 46x4min + 66x3min  Stacked with Dark, Flat and Bias frames Stacked in DSS and processed in GIMP Taken under Bortle 7/8 skies Gear:
      SkyWatcher ED80 0.85x Reducer Astro-Modified EOS 600D ZWO ASI 120MM Mini Guide Camera with 9x50 Finderscope HEQ5 Pro Mount There's some dust bunnies and other artefacts on the image that I know I could spend more time removing, however I'm wondering if I'm doing my data justice in processing!
      Thanks, Tom
      NGC7023 (2).TIF
    • By jambouk
      1. If the wire to a pair of 12v DC batteries in series is 10AWG (5.3mm2) and is say 2m in length, what gauge and length wire should join the two batteries, or as long as it is at least 10AWG and less than 2m it is unimportant? Are there issues with using thicker wire to join the two batteries together.
      2. And if these two batteries were in parallel, what are the requirements of the wire joining these two batteries together? Again, is using thicker wire than the live and positive to the battery pair problematic?
      3. And if you can tolerate answering another question, where would you fuse these two set ups?
      Thanks, James

• By Adaaam75
      Hi guys,
      So on Tuesday night I spent the evening imaging the moon with my Celestron 9.25 SCT and DSLR as shown below and am happy with the images I collated (I only took images as I did intend to take capture video but I got carried away and time was getting on).
      I have approx 350 jpeg (and the equivalent in raw) images and have used the Microsoft image composite editor to stitch the frames together without editing them first etc but I wonder if I'm going the images an injustice?
      I'm not ready to pay for editing software as I know there is a lot of very good free downloads out there and I'm asking for recommendations. Should I be processing the frames before/after stitching and what software would you recommend? Please offer any advice you have.
      I will post the resulting image once I'm happy with the outcome 😁
      Thanks in advance!

• By lux eterna
      Hi all,
      My last imaging for this season resulted in 11 x 10 minutes on M51, but I already had 23 x 15 minutes from previous seasons so here is some 7 1/2 hours of data.
      The 23x15 minutes subs were taken under a pretty dark sky (SQM-L = 21.65), while the rest were approx 21.5. Used a modded Nikon D7000 in a 8" Meade LX200-ACF on HEQ5 Pro, guided with NexGuide. I am still amazed that stars were pinpoint in all 23 of the 15 minutes subs. I guess it helped that the OTA was pointing near zenith so flexure and mirror lock issues should have been minimal. Nowadays I stick to max 10 minutes subs.
      Ragnar

• By Camalajs525
      I tried searching for some easy deep sky objects on the internet but I never got a staright answer. Could someone please name some easy targets that I could use tonight. Mostly in Canis Major or in Canis Minor if possible. The deep sky objects that I am trying to find are quite simple. That can be seen by binoculars. Thanks, any help would always be appreciated. 😀

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.