sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Neptune - we need a bigger boat - scope

It was clear here last night (hard to believe I know) so I had a go at Neptune with the C9.25 and ASI224 with 2.5 Powermate.

Of course Neptune is really low in the sky and the outermost planet but ....

I think that it needs a bigger boat scope.

Peter

Neptune221016.png

• Like 8

Good catch. Neptune is in hiding behind trees, but I am not sure my C8 could produce anything really nice. Bigger scopes are indeed called for. Aperture fever strikes again. Maybe I can have a go with the 16" RC in the dome on the roof of our university building. It is plagued by bad dome seeing until 01:00 AM, but it might provide better shots

Likewise Chris, I was out last night trying to find Neptune even with my goto mount (3 star aligned) and still struggled to work out if it was in the FOV..... Then the clouds came in.

I'm eager to capture Neptune (even if it's a blue dot half the size of Peter's image) as this is the only planet I have yet to capture. Well done Peter!

Nice image. Well done. :) Was observing Neptune the other night with my ST120 'frac, and also my Starwave 102 a few nights before that, although I found it pretty easily on my Goto mount. 

Thanks all. The image is a bit underwhelming but it was the challenge of actually imaging it really. I don't think that I could have got it without my flip mirror. The only planet that I have not captured is Mercury and it's always too low for me here.

Peter

I must admit I cheated a bit with Mercury as I imaged it when it was in transit passing over the Sun last year. The small black dot at the top is Mercury and some sunspots below. I've not tried to attempt it since but I will try Neptune again as my next target the next time the skies are clear whenever that will be....
 I think I may have to purchase a flip mirror too as it's so frustrating trying swapping the camera with the eyepiece and re-focusing it and visa-versa....It's not so bad with bright objects like the Moon and Jupiter but not so easy with fainter objects.

Transit of Mercury090516.jpg

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, mikeonnet said:

I must admit I cheated a bit with Mercury as I imaged it when it was in transit passing over the Sun last year. The small black dot at the top is Mercury and some sunspots below. I've not tried to attempt it since but I will try Neptune again as my next target the next time the skies are clear whenever that will be....
 I think I may have to purchase a flip mirror too as it's so frustrating trying swapping the camera with the eyepiece and re-focusing it and visa-versa....It's not so bad with bright objects like the Moon and Jupiter but not so easy with fainter objects.

Transit of Mercury090516.jpg

that how I cheated on my Mercury images

Does it really count tho'?

LOL

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BinocularSky
      The July edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. Astronomical darkness returns to the southern part of the UK this month, and we have:
      * Yet another "promising" comet
      * Asteroid Ceres
      * Neptune and Uranus return
      I hope this helps you to fill your evenings (actually, more likely pre-dawn mornings!) enjoyably.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab, where you can subscribe (also free, of course) to have it emailed each month, and get archived copies.

• By BinocularSky
      The latest edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * Asteroid occultation of a bright star
      * Neptune appulse with bright star
      * Vesta getting easier
      * Three Mira stars near maximum
      This should be enough to keep you gainfully occupied with your binoculars or small telescope. To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab, where you can subscribe (also free, of course) to have it emailed each month, and get archived copies. 

• By BinocularSky
      The August edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * A grazing occultation of a bright star
      * Moon occulting stars in the Hyades
      * See both ice giants as well as Vesta
      * Review of the Celestron EclipSmart 10x25 solar binocular
      I hope it helps you to get the best out of these late summer nights with your binoculars or small telescopes.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.
      Warning: Do not attempt to observe the Sun with any optical system that is not specifically designed for the purpose.
    • By BinocularSky
      The latest edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * Uranus and Neptune are back (just!)
      * A couple of Mira variables near maximum
      * Ceres is still available
      * Review of the Bino Bandit
      I hope it helps you to get the best out of these short summer nights with your binoculars or small telescopes.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.
    • By Kronos831
      Hey guys. Thought about  starting this thread. I feel like we all should inform eachother and newer members alike about the magngifications that can be achieved on planets,that provide the best sharpness/size ratio,depending on the scope and seeing. After this thread has grown a bit, i feel like this should be pinned,as to provide a little guide to newer members that are not experienced with planetary observing,as many will be fooled with the typical 50x per inch of aperture and get disappointed when they find that that image will be dim and blurry.
      For my 8” F/6 Sky-Watcher Dob
      For Saturn i like to use 150x in medium seeing and if i want something a bit bigger , switch to 240x ,which will give me a bigger,but blurrier image.iBut In good seeing, i found that 240x was very usable.When we have perfect conditions, i m certainly trying 300x.
      Mars, isnt very big in the sky right now,so even at high magnifications like 300x it still appears as a small orange dot. For observing mars,I suggest waiting for it to reach opposition.It benifits hugely from it! However,this happens once every 2 years....But 5ere are other planets to keep you occupied until then, such as jupiter,saturn and   Venus.
      For Venus, i use 50-100-120 depending on its phase.
      For  Jupiter, i like to use 150x, as it provides a very sharp image,with key features of the planet such as bands being very detailed.Waiting on my 6mm UWA Skywatcher to bring it to 200 and see how that plays out. Be careful! Don’t magnify jupiter too much, as it will loose much of its features and sharpness.
      Neptune and Uranus: These two will not impress, but are certainly have a nice colour to them. Even ar high magnifications, such as 300x and 400x, they will look like small discs with color in them.Uranus will look be colored green and Neptune a fainter blue.
      Mercury About mercury...Havent gotten the chance to observe it ,so the guys will have to inform you about that?
      Feel free to give your own opinions as to give members a wider source of information to help them observe better ! 
      Cheers and clear skies.
      Kronos

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.