Narrowband

NGC 7023 - Work in Progress

Roy Batty

Conditions were far from ideal when I took this on Saturday night, lots of high cloud about so not much data here in total. I was mostly fliting about trying to pick something worthwhile to capture & finally stuck with this beastie. It needs alot more subs to improve the detail, but I'm pleasantly surprised with what I've got so far.

Details: DSLR, Prime focus, unguided, 32 X 1mins subs, ISO800.

cheers

RB

NGC7023 - Iris Nebula

7362_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

It's looking good Roy. I imaged this last year, got 30x500 of luminence subs and it was still noisy. There's a huge amount of soot in the neb and your image is showing it up nicely

I captured some more data last night and added it to the stack - I've had to crop the stack as there was a fair bit of variation at the periphary of the image with the two sets of data stacked together.

I still would like to have a go at this in widefield with a decent long single set of subs, but for now I'm happy that the "sooty" appearance is coming across quite nicely.

cheers

RB

7411_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'd probably like to get some more subs on this; peversley enough it was pretty clear last night, at least better than the previous night on which I got the extra subs..typical :D . Quite frankly I wasn't prepared to setup from scratch at 11pm...still there will be other opportunities for this one.

cheers

RB

I spent a bit of time yesterday, looking at images of this object, taken with large instruments.

I am astonished by the amount of smoky dark stuff that pervades the area around it. It must be tens of light years in area. I can understand the soot descriptons that have been mentioned on more than one occasion regarding this one. I tried to write about it in my earlier post, but I was a bit woosy from a rather large glass of Jack Daniels, so I scrubbed it and went to bed. :oops:

Sorry Roy, but I have appraised your picture too mate. :D

Ron. :D

Your not wrong,Ron. :D

Did a quick false colour view in PS and it's difficult to fathom the actual extent of the nebular vis a vis 'camera noise'. :scratch: I think the 'stuff' along the bottom of the frame is an artifact but that around the centre.... Well you pays yer money and makes yer choice....... one of the reasons I don't do Nebs. :D

This isn't a highjack,Roy,honest!

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

It just shows that some homework has to be done on the target subject, especially nebulae.

If you don't, you may waste a lot of time trying to eliminate what is meant to be there.

It is a fascinating object though, and I have a feeling I am repeating myself here. :D

Ron.

No problem CW.....

To give you an idea of the extent of this nebula here's my personal favourite image of this on the web :

http://astrophotography.aa6g.org/Astrophotos/ngc7023_asa.html

As you can see material fills the whole frame!

cheers

RB

Whoa! :D

Imagine trying to sort out that lot in PS without a stimulant of choice! :D

Thanks for the link,Roy. Amasing stuff!

Cheers

CW

Archived