Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, brantuk said:

Dobsonian actually refers to the mount which is a rocker box on a turntable invented by John Dobson. The telescope mounted in them is usually a Newtonian reflector - no prize for guessing who invented that one lol. :)

Yes, it was Isaac Toni  and his design was new.?

If your priority is ease of setup, then you want a small telescope on an alt-azimuth mount.  I have an AZ-4, but there are cheaper (but less rigid) tripod mounts. 

To use: take the tripod outside, spread the tripod legs, take the telescope outside, and clamp it on the mounting. Job done. You are ready to observe. Takes one minute.

Be aware that the bigger the telescope, the more awkward it is to handle, and the 200mm Dobsonian Newtonian recommended by some posters is getting close to the max that one person would want to move unassisted.

Mountings are important, and can do much to make observing a more pleasant and annoyance-free activity. But not cheaply, alas.

4 hours ago, Sohn said:

To tell the Truth i dont Know what i want. But i want a telescope that is easy to set up. 

Again, there are too many choices with such a broad requirement. You need to go to a few star parties, and try various telescopes in person because reading won't replace the basic experience. If you buy one you end up not liking because you rush, you'll have to resell it at a loss, and start all over again. Better handle real scopes than talk about them, try eyepieces and finders, too, and in the meantime, borrow a 10x50 binocular or buy a super-cheap one.

A binocular is not easy to set up, it takes no setup at all.

1 hour ago, popeye85 said:

Attitude to be honest I would be more tempted to go for the 130 version. You get allot more scope for only a little bit more cash and well worth it in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skywatcher-HERITAGE-130P-Dobsonian-Telescope/dp/B005KIXM66

I'd go along with the 130P as well. Hate to say it, but - aperture rules.

Dave

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

........... the 200mm Dobsonian Newtonian recommended by some posters is getting close to the max that one person would want to move unassisted.

To use: take the tripod outside, spread the tripod legs, take the telescope outside, and clamp it on the mounting. Job done. You are ready to observe. Takes one minute.

At nearly 27 Kgs, fully setup it may be heavy for some folk, but I find 27 kgs  quite manageable, but if you replace  'Tripod' for  'Base' its just as easy taking the scope out in two parts, as you described above.

40 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

A binocular is not easy to set up, it takes no setup at all.

There are  folk that don't know how to set up their binoculars?

Fixed focus binoculars may not require any initial setting up, apart from bending them along their axis to align then to your eyes, but most centre focus binoculars do require  setting up  in order to get them focused correctly for each eye!
For centre focus, focus as normal using your left eye, the right Objective should be covered with its cap.  Once your happy with  your left eye focus, cover the left Objective,  and now focus the right eye with the dioptre adjuster,  on the collar of the right eyepiece. Once your happy with the right eye focus, remove the cap from the objective, and  use the centre focuser. The binoculars are now correctly setup for YOUR eyes, The process is the same for the next user?
Now if your the only user, and with careful handling, from now on,  "it takes no setup at all"

Archived