Narrowband

Upgrade to a new scope

Hi. 

My current setup is 6''newtonian on a eq3,mount. My scope is becoming old and the mount is getting rusty. I now want to upgrade it. Can youll recommend me a new scope? Anything works, dobsonian, refractor, reflector and Schmidt cassigrane. 

Thankyou 

My next choice of scope, If I could get one locally is the Skyliner 12" but they don't make them brand new any more?  Its bigger, therefore gathers more light, and may even show things that my present scope cant detect under my present conditions? The rest of the scope has, for some folk, some negatives, mainly  physical size, weight, cost.  That said, there is nothing wrong with my 8" Skyliner, it does what is says. Its the fact that if you buy the next scope up in the range it can offers some more?
You say your scope is old, but as long as its clean and collimated, it should still work quite well as a 6" telescope. Have you tried using your telescope from a darker site, this makes a massive difference to the final image.

For simplicity of use and setup,  I would recommend an 8" Newtonian mounted on a Dobsonian base. 

Edited by Charic

47 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Hi. 

My current setup is 6''newtonian on a eq3,mount. My scope is becoming old and the mount is getting rusty. I now want to upgrade it. Can youll recommend me a new scope? Anything works, dobsonian, refractor, reflector and Schmidt cassigrane. 

Thankyou 

The largest dob you can manage.

• Like 1

OK so basically dobsonian is most suitable for observation right?. My mirror and tube are a bit damaged due to little rough use:blob8:when I was a beginner. My budget is 1000 $ Idont have any problem to use a manual or automatic (goto) both are fun their own ways. 

43 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

OK so basically dobsonian is most suitable for observation right?. 

Not So!....... Its ease of use makes it convenient to use, but without a scope, you won't observe anything?   do remember a Dobsonian is the name  normally given to an  Alt-Az base unit, called, the Dobsonian. The Dobsonian name is  derived from its inventor John Dobson [RIP]   Don't confuse between your Newtonian and a Dobsonian, as being two different scopes. They are both Newtonian telescopes.

You have to manually hold to move the Dobsonian ( some folk call it 'nudging') in order  to keep your target in the field of view  otherwise it will appear to drift away ( quicker at higher magnifications - caused by the rotation of Planet Earth - A Go-To scope with tracking avoids this issue, as it can maintain and hold the  target image central to your view, but this ability requires critical setup every time and is  far more costly than a basic Dobsonian like mine ) .

My scope is super smooth, but not overly? It goes where I want it, and stays there upon release, when  the compression handle  is correctly adjusted.

You say damaged mirror?  If its  right at the edge of the mirror, then not a major issue as most of your visual observation will be on axis, the middle of the mirror is used, but damaged, broken or scratched is a good enough excuse  for anyone to buy something new. A jump from 6" to 8" should be quite noticeable,  as would going from 10" or 12". There is a massive choice out there,  and from your distance to my house, some 4700 miles,  precludes me from demonstrating how good and efficient my system is, but no doubt there may be someone or maybe a group/club of astronomers near to where you actually live. Visiting them one night may allow you to look through their scopes, giving you first hand, what is achievable, given the  right type of scope. Don't be in any rush with this hobby, the stars will out live us all,  it just takes a little time and patience to decide whats best, but to see first hand cant be over emphasized, if the option is available. 

Edited by Charic

1 hour ago, Nova2000 said:

Idont have any problem to use a manual or automatic (goto) both are fun their own ways. 

A middle ground exists between the go-to scope and the fully manual scope: the push-to. It has no motors, so no heavy batteries and machinery, its only electronics are sensors and a palm computer that tell it where it's pointed. You move it with your hands like a bare dob, but it has thousands of targets in its memory so you don't need an atlas and a flashlight.

• 3 years later...

Orion does have the f/5 120mm refractor for under $300. Only thing that's a Must!! change the focuser that Orion has for it. with the 600mm focal length, the views are incredible! I did buy the Bressier Eq. GOTO mount for $600 as well/14mm es 82 degree eyepiece. you won't be disappointed.

Hi.It also depends on what you want to do with it astronamy wise.

Size does matter but remember your the one lifting it.

Age is another factor. I'm 62 my 200p is enough for me to get in the car carry to veiw as long as it isn't to far to walk.

There is a huge choice out there.

I must say I'm keeping the 200p have no regrets buying it.have no thoughts of getting a bigger dob .

Very happy at what I can see with it.for the price you'll be hard pressed to get anything better a truly fabulous scope.

Whatever you finish up buying good luck and if it gives you half as much pleasure as my 200p has youll be happy.

Regards 

4 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Do everything / anything required to stay away from an EQ mount, if not you will regret it and it won’t take long !  Clear Skies !

I love my Neq6 equatorial mount and 12inch orion optics UK Newtonian f4 Newtonian. Best scope I've owned. Yes, there is a learning curve but once learnt the sky's the limit, lol. All bought second hand, £1000 the lot. I have done some diy upgrades but at the price who can argue. I've had sct, 8, 10 and 12inch. Not a patch on this current setup.

PSX_20190801_185810.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Image added
  • Like 1

Some rather awkward, neck straining positions, okay if you are a contortionist, lol ! Any other advantages over an AZ mount ?  But, as my old gramma used to say ‘ to each his own ‘ !   Clear Skies !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Do everything / anything required to stay away from an EQ mount, if not you will regret it and it won’t take long !  Clear Skies !

I would possible agree for visual work, especially as you can get driven Dobs, the thing I like about driven mounts is the hands off when viewing.

Hey everyone

I had asked this question in2016 :)

i bought a 8inch Gso dobsonian in 2017 and I am using it right now .will soon upgrade to 12inch.

And yes dobsonian is much more fun to use especially locating objects near the poles . Using eq mount to locate objects low in the south was neck breaking and I had to rotate the tube alot

clear skies 

• Like 2

On 22/10/2016 at 16:45, Nova2000 said:

OK so basically dobsonian is most suitable for observation right?. My mirror and tube are a bit damaged due to little rough use:blob8:when I was a beginner. My budget is 1000 $ Idont have any problem to use a manual or automatic (goto) both are fun their own ways. 

10" Dob goto https://www.skiesunlimited.com/sky-watcher-flextube-250p-synscan-dobsonian.html

12" Non Goto https://www.skiesunlimited.com/sky-watcher-flextube-300p-dobsonian.html

10 Classic Dob Non Goto https://www.skiesunlimited.com/sky-watcher-classic-250p-dobsonian.html

My first scope was similar to this in the 90's, and the views of Saturn were stunning, even from a light pollute Huddersfield.

If astro imaging is not your aim, then one of those or similar should fit budget and requirements.

5 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

And yes dobsonian is much more fun to use especially locating objects near the poles . Using eq mount to locate objects low in the south was neck breaking and I had to rotate the tube alot

I was trying to view something nearly overhead in my Dob a few months back and was quickly reminded of Dobson's Hole.  The motions were really confusing trying to rotate and tilt to keep it in view.  I can really appreciate the ball mount for this type of viewing.

34 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I was trying to view something nearly overhead in my Dob a few months back and was quickly reminded of Dobson's Hole.  The motions were really confusing trying to rotate and tilt to keep it in view.  I can really appreciate the ball mount for this type of viewing.

Everything is not crammed into the area near zenith, there are exceptions as with anything, we learn to live with those small exceptions ! They are not a controlling factor as with an EQ mount being used for visual !  Clear Skies !

6 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Everything is not crammed into the area near zenith, there are exceptions as with anything, we learn to live with those small exceptions ! They are not a controlling factor as with an EQ mount being used for visual !  Clear Skies !

I can't imagine dealing with the meridian flip visually with a manual EQ mount.  At least fork mounts don't have this issue.

• Like 1