Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

methane

Demonperformer

In the latest AN, there is a report of a new NB filter that picks up methane, at 889nm. I was wondering if this would make an interesting addition to my narrowband stable (possibly for use instead of the SII?), but two questions arise.

(1) The QE curve on my camera stops at 800nm, but it is dropping before that. Is this camera going to pick up very much at this frequency?

(2) What sort of objects are emitting methane anyway?

Thanks.

Hi

It's a planetary filter to increase contrast where there are methane clouds. I did some dso imaging at 850nm recently and using a cheap IR pass filter. That was with my mono 550d before it died... Very good for combating LP! But no colour, of course. You could also image with it using a full-spectrum modded dslr.

Louise 

Neptune and Uranus have high concentrations of Methane (CH4) in their atmospheres. Jupiter also has some. Not sure about Saturn.

I've thought of getting one of these. But they're too expensive for now. And, with my luck, if I caved-in and bought one this week - next week they'd be on sale for ½-price.

Dave

Archived