Understanding the equatorial coordinatesystem.

I'm starting with amateur astronomy and am learning about the equatorial coordinate system.
Do I have this correct?

Looking south (from 52N):
Right ascension increases from west to east.
Declination increases from low to high.

Looking north:
Right ascension increases clockwise around the celestial pole. (near Polaris)
Declination increases towards the celestial pole.

Looking east or west:
The two axes will appear tilted towards the north.

(This is about the coordinates, not the apparent motion)

xSUzBO1.png

You can check this out if you download Stellarium, switch on the cardinal points and equatorial grid, then swing the picture round N, S, E,  and W. You're almost there - N, and S, ok - but east curvature and west curvature are the wrong way round (ie convex lines when it should be concave). Hth :)

Well done getting your head around this system!  I thoroughly enjoy it, and prefer an Equatorial mount to work from.  It took me quite a while but I understand your drawings, and look correct, along with Brantuk's observation about the perspective being swapped around on the celestial globe for east and west.  

Good to know that I have the directions right.

The east/west views are not in any proper perspective but a quick copy of my scribblings on paper.
I tried to sortof put in the equator and circumpolar circle.

Archived